Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Pulling the boat to Florida! Tips for night time >

Pulling the boat to Florida! Tips for night time

Notices

Pulling the boat to Florida! Tips for night time

Old 02-11-2016, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahahaha kermit is back!!! Missed me Neil? Are you the Lizard they were refering to? ��
Old 02-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Or at the titty bars for that matter
I heard the tittie bars were running specials were you get free crabs with the clams....
Old 02-11-2016, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

Good AAA account with the RV Plus option (extra 30 bucks)
Delaware and Maryland have super-sized travel centers in the middle of the highway. Easy on and off the highway. Huge parking lots for truckers and such, food, gas. No hotels but I know the one in Del has those boxes that you can hook up to your truck so you don’t have to run your motor while parked and still have heat and such. Del gas is cheap and you can pump your own. Something you can’t do in NJ.
Balti to Richmond, just stay away during rush hours. Baltimore is not that bad on a bad day during rush hour. Getting through DC (around it really) stay away from 7 to 10am and 3:30 to 7:30pm weekdays. Most other times it’s not bad unless there is some huge event going on. Richmond is about the same as DC but has gotten better over the years. After that its smooth, flat sailing for … ever. One thing nice on the other side of Richmond is …

Block or strap the drives up. A trim pump dropping a drive won’t be noticed until it is way too late. Make sure the transom straps stay tight.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

I forgot to add (and keeping with the theme of the thread), there is a lot of strip clubs in the Carolinas and don't forget, South of the Boarder for all your fireworks needs.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 250 Posts

when i moved from arizona to florida, my truck has saddle tanks so i would run 1 tank down pull in check the trailer, fill up and switch tanks this way i always had 1 full tank in reserve.
i see your going to lauderdale, when i go to the keys i pull the boat to harbour towne marina ( dania beach fl. ) 8 dollars a day to park the truck and trailer in a safe place, it'll still be there and unmolested when you get back, plus 24 hr. security and they'll help you launch and recover since you'll be on your own
it's a nice, clean and good starting point for the keys and the islands
http://www.harbourtownemarina.com/

have a safe trip and a good time
Old 02-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 400 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
FWIW, I have AAA RV+ coverage. It covers ALL of my vehicles, including a trailer for roadside and towing.
If I break down towing, they send 2 trucks.
AAA RV+ won't touch my Sport Chassis for some stupid reason. I explained that the door tag reads HD pick up truck, and she went to the supervisor and said it's not covered. I had my fifth wheel toy hauler attached and the trailer is covered, but not the truck. Haven't tried it with a boat trailer yet.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Regular traffic on 95 between NYC and DC is much more congested than issues with trucks on 81. Don't forget I-95 is the main commerce corridor for the east coast so it is also heavy with truck traffic. If you can time it right I95 is busy but fine to use. If you can spare adding several hours to your overall trip you may want to consider 81 but be cognizant of the weather forecast. I81 is also fairly hilly until south of VA so you may burn extra fuel. My last trip to Myrtle Beach Bike Week we left upstate NY late afternoon and went down 81 to Hagerstown, MD where we hit I70 to I270 to I495 around DC. We hauled ass with no issues because we hit DC about 9pm.

You probably have a trailer tongue lock but make sure you have one just in case you have to leave the trailer on the side of the road. I also carry heavy duty ratchet straps.

Last edited by Ing; 02-11-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Registered

Location: Solomons Island, MD, Vero Beach and Punta Gorda, FL
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Done it many many times from Maryland with my 42' and 32' CC. Truck stops are your friends for fuel. Easier in and out. I like the Petro Stops. Consider the turnpike versus 95 south around the Ft. Lauderdale and Miami area. More expensive for tolls but well worth it. You don't have to stop at tolls anymore, they just bill your tag. Just went there for Xmas and have not seen a bill for tolls yet????

Ed
Old 02-11-2016, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spare bearings, races & seals. A couple of 1 foot lengths of good chain & link connectors, a couple of bottle jacks, wheel bearing grease, brake clean, a 4-way lug wrench, a 1/2" socket & ratchet, pipe wrench, assorted cresent werenches, pliers of all sizes, a rubber mallet, temp gun, flashlight, zip ties, wheel chocks, spare lug nuts, floor jack, assorted wood blocks, bag of red rags, leather work gloves, rubber gloves, screwdrivers, electrical supplies (wire, connectors, strippers, crimpers....)
I've had brakes lock up on wheels before & had to remove the brake assembly on the side of the road. I've had to chain up axles, chase wheels out into wheat fields, fix fenders when tires come apart. Basically, if it can happen, I've had it happen. I kept all that above sh!t in a big canvas tool bag with the exception of the floor jack and wood blocks. It weighed a ton but I was never stranded on the side of the road again. I was always able to at least limp it on into the next town.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 514 Likes on 234 Posts

Safe travels...send pix when you get the boat out on the water...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.