Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 05-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 598 Likes on 358 Posts

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-truck...ilitary-power/
Old 05-15-2017, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We also did some high power density diesel research work with Duramaxes back in the day.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Any new updates, Tyson?
Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Transom:

Here are a few updates. We took the Arnesons off and filled the transom in. Repainted the transom and inside, then cut the holes for the Merc. #8's. Now we have to line the cutout with fiberglass and resin the holes. The transom on my boat is pretty thick, that was not fun to cut out.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-transom-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-transom-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-transom-3.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-transom-4.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-transom-5.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-transom-6.jpg  

Old 06-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Registered

Engine update:

I went to Salt lake City where the new engines are being built by Industrial Injection. They are working on the engines and should be on the dyno in three weeks. And will probably do a week or two of testing then ship to here to put them in, so hopefully I can rig them in and I'm running by the first week or two of August.

They Dynoed a truck when I was there that had an engine with almost the same specs as mine. It made 1453 hp at the tires with no correction factor (we were at 4,000 feet). Yes it was only for a few seconds but the exhaust temp leveled off at 1500' f. That is a little higher then we will run for continuous use but if we drop the hp to 1200 the temp will drop also. So I think the hp goal is achievable. We know the parts can handle the high hp with out physically breaking and if we can keep the exhaust temp down then it will just be an experiment on how long the rings and springs last.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 487 Likes on 252 Posts

[QUOTE=BigSilverCat;4415436]Elmers glue.... Actually they hot glue the pieces in place then fiberglass them together.

thanks for putting that out there !
used the hot glue gun to tack divinycell cross bracing on the engine hatch.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
Engine update:

I went to Salt lake City where the new engines are being built by Industrial Injection. They are working on the engines and should be on the dyno in three weeks. And will probably do a week or two of testing then ship to here to put them in, so hopefully I can rig them in and I'm running by the first week or two of August.

They Dynoed a truck when I was there that had an engine with almost the same specs as mine. It made 1453 hp at the tires with no correction factor (we were at 4,000 feet). Yes it was only for a few seconds but the exhaust temp leveled off at 1500' f. That is a little higher then we will run for continuous use but if we drop the hp to 1200 the temp will drop also. So I think the hp goal is achievable. We know the parts can handle the high hp with out physically breaking and if we can keep the exhaust temp down then it will just be an experiment on how long the rings and springs last.
Awesome! Inquiring minds want to know....What details can you give on engines?
Old 06-26-2017, 03:33 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

I think Tyson is the Bahamas on an anniversary trip so he may be out of touch a few days.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TylerBurich
Awesome! Inquiring minds want to know....What details can you give on engines?
They are based on the 6.7 Cummins. They will have all the good parts they use in 2500 hp tractor pull engines except the block will not be filled. That way we know physically the parts can take the power. Then it will just basically be an experiment on how long the rings, valve springs, ect. will last at sustained high rpm and high hp. It has never been done so where not sure how long they will last and at what HP but we are going to give it a shot and see what happens. We will actually start out running them continuous at the higher Hp rating that I want and see what all happens instead of running them at the lower hp and maybe they live but are right on the verge of breaking the whole time where any change may blow them up but us not know where that edge is. The HP will basically be dependent on what we think the engine can sustain temperature wise with out physically melting something, like pistons, valves, ect. The water pump will have to stabilize the temperature of the block, oil, head, intercooler, ect. cool enough that it does not keep increasing over time. And the biggest thing we will need to work on is efficiency. I will need to be able to get good enough fuel mileage to make the longest runs that we are wanting to do and that will probably be our biggest obstacle. I will post pics and video of the engines once we get them on the dyno.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

With the Cummins you have the option to run a Monotherm piston. While not popular in the drag or truck pulling crowd due to the weight, I would certainly make those the #1 requirement in your builds. Reason, THEY NEVER FAIL!

The most common part to let go in these big HP small CI diesel builds is pistons. The weakest link by far, and what knocked a certain popular engine builders DX500 truck out of running at UCC in under 3 seconds on the first day... Think of them like an insurance policy for when an injector misfires, or a turbo doesn't spool and EGT goes 1800F for a few seconds. No matter what else can't stand the abuse, you'll know it wasn't a piston..

Last edited by kidturbo; 06-29-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.