Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 07-02-2017, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 889 Likes on 380 Posts

What kind of rpm will these motors have to turn dependably? Would an over drive tranny be be a possibility to to keep rpms down?

Is that propshaft dyno open for business yet? I'm almost dieing to know what kind of power my imco scx is consuming...
Old 07-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
What kind of rpm will these motors have to turn dependably? Would an over drive tranny be be a possibility to to keep rpms down?

Is that propshaft dyno open for business yet? I'm almost dieing to know what kind of power my imco scx is consuming...
We plan on turning the engines 3300-3400 rpm continuous, and 4000 rpm for short periods of time. The factory cummins 6.7 is rated to turn 3300 rpm continuous so we don't think the rpm will cause any problems.

The number 8's we are putting on it are a .91 overdrive ratio, so that will keep the rpm's down. You could do an overdrive transmission but that would be another set of gears and a lot of weight to add.

The propshaft dyno technically is open for business, I think it could be rented from them.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Registered

Stand off box studs,

We had to machine custom studs to reach through the transom since it is thicker on this boat. The standard mercury #8 transom assembly uses a 5/8" stud, so we upsized the studs for the standoff box to 3/4".

In the standoff box we machined 1" coarse thread and put a steel insert into it for a bigger thread into the aluminum, then the 3/4" stud is coarse thread into the steel for a stronger connection then it would have been with 3/4" thread into aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-stud-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-stud-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-stud-3.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-stud-4.jpg  
Old 07-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you still going to run multi speed transmissions or off the shelf single speed units?

Any specs on the engines yet curious as to the weight all rigged with gearboxs, coolers and fluids, I would imagine that HP is going to take large heat exchangers to keep them cool.
Single or twin turbo?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 999JAY
Are you still going to run multi speed transmissions or off the shelf single speed units?

Any specs on the engines yet curious as to the weight all rigged with gearboxs, coolers and fluids, I would imagine that HP is going to take large heat exchangers to keep them cool.
Single or twin turbo?
the transmissions I built had a 8" drop for the arneson drive and now that we are putting merc. #8 I cannot use them so we are going to use Bam transmissions. Bam is building me custom transmission that are based on what merc uses on the 1650. I have not talked to him much about what he is doing different to them but I would imagine an extra clutch or two, maybe different clutch material, probably raise the clamping pressures some? He is also making a heavier duty spring damper.

they are single speed

my transmissions were single speed but I had a "trolling valve" which basically lowers the clamping pressure down to the point that the clutches are slipping and not really touching but so close together that the oil between them drags the next clutch so it acts like a low gear when you are not giving it much power.

the engines will be around the same weight as a merc 1350

we are not doing closed cooling on them so I will not need a "radiator" heat exchanger.

We are going to use a single turbo. Down the road when we have time I'm surely we will build a compound setup for it and play with it on the Dyno, but for now I just want to get it running and a single is quicker and easier

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 07-05-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:32 PM
Registered

The transom cutout is fiber glassed. We did not just paint resign to seal the wood, we actually put several layers of fiberglass and epoxy resin.

For the people that are not around fiberglass much, most of the time fiberglass is technically see through. If you did not need core in the high speed boats you could use clear gel coat and not paint the boat and have an almost see through boat.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-transom-8.jpg  
Old 07-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 250 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-transparentdinghy.jpg  
Old 07-08-2017, 10:16 AM
Registered

I've had some one call and ask how we drilled the holes in the right locations in the transom for the standoff box when it uses studs and does not have through holes. We machined a drill fixture for the hole locations of the standoff box and went ahead and made it nice with hardened removable drill bushings. By having the long tight tolerance drill bushings the drilled holes go straight in perpendicular to the transom so that the Inner backing plate holes will line up good. Most of the time if you try to drill several holes that are that long, the holes on the inside will be off at slight angles from the ones on the back.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-drill-jig-8-stand-off-box.jpg  
Old 07-08-2017, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tyson, on what day do you rest? This build is breath-taking!

Thank you for enlightening us.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
Tyson, on what day do you rest? This build is breath-taking!

Thank you for enlightening us.
for an example: Last week: 4th of july weekend and everyone is out partying.

Saturday morning 7:am Leave Joplin and drive to Douglas Michigan 692 miles, arrive at Skater at 3:30 pm eastern (yes I realize that is 7.5 hours and was 692 miles...I'm practicing to beat the Cannonball run from new York to LA)(on another note a 2013 Hyundai sonata with 2.0 turbo will get 29.8 MPG at 105 mph for 100 mile test, and will hit 155 mph. not bad for a cheep car with 100,000 mile warranty) Work on the boat at skater till 3 am. take shower (the shower head sprays all over the place except on me. and shower curtain is too short and just blows open and water goes all over room) Go in break room and sleep in old 28 skater seat till 7:30 am sunday,

work on boat all day till 2:30 am. take shower (the shower head sprays all over the place except on me. and shower curtain is too short and just blows open and water goes all over room, again) go in conference room sleep on couch.(I did bring a blanky and pillow knowing I did not want to leave the building and just work. its a 15-20 min drive each way to the house and that is wasted time.)

Monday morning get up at 6:45 am to be sure i'm up when the employees get there at 7. work on boat, go to Menards and buy a new shower head and shower curtain, back to Skater, put in new shower head and curtain, and work on boat till 3:30 am. Take shower with a shower that works right. Sleep up on top of boat.

Tuesday morning get up at 6:45 work on boat till afternoon, get a call that someone wants me to come test drive there boat to see how it handles with the drives turning out instead of in. Run down to the dock get in the boat, it has a miss in one of the engines, we figure out its two injectors not firing then run 145 MPH down lake Michigan to the next inlet, go in, put on trailer, and haul it up to Skater so they can fix it for Boyne thunder. then work on my boat again till 3 am. Shower. Sleep on couch

Wednesday morning get up at 6:45 am work on boat till noon then had planned on driving home, call mercury and find out the MCON race boat props will be done on Thursday and they were wanting to test it friday so I stay at Skater and keep working on the boat till 2 am. Shower. Sleep on top of boat.

Thursday morning up at 6:45 am work on boat till 10 am, leave and drive around to Mercury racing in Wisconsin. At 11:40 am Tristan text me a picture of a cargo/passenger van that she wants to be able to haul all her skater shirts, displays, ect. to the shows/races. While I'm driving around to mercury I stop and look at one. Then call around and see where would have one in Silver (to match the boat) and has all the options. Get to Mercury to pick up 3 sets of props in the nice, big, plastic hard cases... Did I mention I'm in a small car? Play a little adult Tetris, (call mom and tell her that all the video game playing when I was a kid was not a waste of time) and start driving home. Get a call from dealership and they have 3 vans with the options,colors I wanted in the country. Two that are 1000 miles from me and one that is about 10 miles out of my way driving home. I stop in the dealership to look at it, make a deal, out the door in 20 min to get to U-Haul to rent a trailer to bring the little car home. Load up car and head to LOTO. Drive till 2 am. Stay at hotel.

Friday get up and finish driving to LOTO, put the props on the race boat and we take it out and do some testing, put it back on trailer, leave the car at loto and I drop off uhaul trailer and drive the van home made it home around 6:30 pm. Pick up Tristan and some parts for a friends gate at his house that quit working, drive to his house out of town, work on gate for a few hours then drive home, Work on polishing the valve covers for the new cummins for a few hours and then go to bed around 2 am.

That is a week in my life... Does that answer your question of what day I rest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.