Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 07-28-2017, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Yeah that's a great use for a CSP/DSP slot. Can set throttle based torque table where low end is normal but upper rows are flat and conservative. Half to WOT might only be a 100hp difference. I think you'll really like the power that EFIlive tuning offers in that setup. It's not as versatile as a true Bosch MS ecm, but that 10k savings buys a lot of tuning time..

My experience with EGT is that throttle position, boost, load, RPM and EGT run very linear. The only differences occur with prop changes. A 35P would spin 3850R / 79mph at about 1400F and 75% calculated load. The same dia prop in a 38P spun 3650R / 81mph at about 1550F showing 90% load. All in the same tune. I tested this same math on my 5.9L truck last week pulling a 11k boat up a long hill in VA. Tow haul mode vs regular. Load and EGT tracked hand in hand.
In a normal application where your not wide open throttle I could see there being a difference in egt with it being higher at a low rpm with prop pitches/ gear changes, but under wide open throttle we were getting a lower egt the lower the rpm.

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 07-28-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Registered

We were in a hurry trying to put a radiator on the engine cooling water to be able to make longer dyno pulls and the first long pull we made the hose touched the intake pipe and melted a hole in it. Which was actually a good thing that we had that problem because it let me know that I need to insulate the intake pipe too. It will not get as hot as the exhaust but it might still get to 400-600 degrees.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a big single turbo falls on its face before getting on plane maybe a compound turbocharger setup using borgwarner sxe turbos would do the job. Maybe a borgwarner s366sxe or s369sxe with an s480sxe+ or s500 on top. Also you will see a drop in EGTs and it will get on plane very quick.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:12 PM
Registered

Also theres some nice turbo blankets you can strap on the compressor housings to keep heat down.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Emcgee956
If a big single turbo falls on its face before getting on plane maybe a compound turbocharger setup using borgwarner sxe turbos would do the job. Maybe a borgwarner s366sxe or s369sxe with an s480sxe+ or s500 on top. Also you will see a drop in EGTs and it will get on plane very quick.
We have talked about doing compounds several times but with the good there is bad also. The good is it would get on plane better, have lower egt, and possibly throttle through waves better. The bad is weight and complexity of putting them in the boat, and most people have never tried to run a constant load with speed sensors on the turbos. The compound turbos under a constant load will start speeding up and slowing down back and forth between them basically fighting each other which takes away efficiency..

Also theres some nice turbo blankets you can strap on the compressor housings to keep heat down.
We do not want to use turbo blankets because they can soak in oil and become a big fire hazard. We are trying to find a hard coating for the exhaust and turbo that will insulate it and not let oil soak in. Eventually after we get all the bugs worked out of it and know what we want to do I will water-jacket the exhaust and the turbo housing.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:46 PM
Registered

What turbo are you testing on?
Old 07-29-2017, 04:25 PM
Registered

What turbo are you testing on?
we have tested 18-20 different turbos on the engine so far, different sizes, ratios, and manufactures. I'm sure we will have 50 different turbos on it by the time we're happy with it in the boat.

When your doing experimental testing of something that has never been done you have some problems. We have blown a few turbos up from over speeding them, ect. There were a couple that had some bad castings and we went through three in one hour, then measured it and the cartridge was machined at an angle.

here is a video of one of them locking up under wide open throttle.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 820 Likes on 224 Posts

The boat sure looks different with the M8s on it. The hatches are still open, just waiting for you to get some motors put back in it! Lol..... Is your V ready to run? I didn't look up inside to see if the motors are in it or not. Good luck on getting your new motors dialed-in Tyson.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:23 PM
Registered

I found a 12 channel EGT gauge. Does anyone know of any other 6 or 12 channel exhaust gas temp gauges? This would be pretty handy with the two 6 cylinder engines. I can just give a quick glance and know that all the exhaust temps are ok and it has audible warnings you can hook up. The only problem is that it's not water proof. I would have to make some kind of housing for it and have a way to get to the knob. Possibly o-ring the knob through a housing with a lexan front?
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-12-channel-exhaust-guage.jpg  
Old 07-30-2017, 06:12 PM
Registered

I know edge products makes EAS gauges and it goes to a monitor. You should be able to get both readings on one screen. Not waterproof. Another good idea is possibly using EZLYNK but im not sure if your ecms are compatible. EZLYNK is all bluetooth and the gauges read on an android device. You can also use ez lynk in place of efi live and load files onto the boat with your cell phone wirelessly. They also have a shift on the fly tuning switch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.