Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 07-30-2017, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

That's probably your best option right now. Been searching also, but I need two of them to monitor 16 cyl... Unless something new has been released in past few months, that's best option I've found for the price. Other cool aeronautical units out there from companies like https://www.jpinstruments.com/

Down side to those gauges, if I recall, ya gotta run 6 K-Type probe cables up to the dash. Since no probes come with 20' leads, ya have to splice in this special bi-metal wire for each probe. I have a roll of it, like $3 a foot, and has to be bolt clamped. Can't use copper wire, can't solder the splices, and it's very resistance picky on accuracy. Not best setup for boats.

If your interested, I've been thinking of having my electronics guru whip out an AD converter on maybe the Arduino platform that mounts on engine and feeds a small LCD same data.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by boatfreak
I have to say I've enjoyed following this thread more than any thread I can remember. All I can say is good luck.
pretty much the same way i feel. one of my favorite threads to follow.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 585 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
That's probably your best option right now. Been searching also, but I need two of them to monitor 16 cyl... Unless something new has been released in past few months, that's best option I've found for the price. Other cool aeronautical units out there from companies like https://www.jpinstruments.com/

Down side to those gauges, if I recall, ya gotta run 6 K-Type probe cables up to the dash. Since no probes come with 20' leads, ya have to splice in this special bi-metal wire for each probe. I have a roll of it, like $3 a foot, and has to be bolt clamped. Can't use copper wire, can't solder the splices, and it's very resistance picky on accuracy. Not best setup for boats.

If your interested, I've been thinking of having my electronics guru whip out an AD converter on maybe the Arduino platform that mounts on engine and feeds a small LCD same data.
just run extensions, we have them work up to 50' long
Old 08-01-2017, 04:58 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

We decided to use the steed speed billet manifold for the exhaust. It flows good and makes more power then the log style manifold. The runners being more equal length will keep the exhaust temps closer together. I just need to find a good way to insulate it. I am leaning towards some kind of blanket for now and after it's in the boat running and I have time, get a hard coat insulation put on it.

The problem is the manifold puts the turbo to far out and would be against the boat or outside the boat. The engine shop designed and is 3D printing an adapter that will rotate the turbo up higher and in closer to the engine. If it clears everything they will machine the adapter out of steel and we will have to hard coat insulate it also.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-img_7739.png   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-img_7730.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-img_7731.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-img_7732.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 08-01-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

There is so much in this build that is above my head I probably move my lips as I'm reading it like it will help me understand it better. LOL
Old 08-01-2017, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
There is so much in this build that is above my head I probably move my lips as I'm reading it like it will help me understand it better. LOL

X2!!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:01 PM
Registered

We are building a custom bell housing for the back of the engine that will have the engine mounts built in and we moved the starter from the port side of engine to the starboard so there would be more room for the intercooler on the port side.

I'm using the probe on the Cnc machine to measure the hole diameters,hole locations, center of starter gear and locating boss to input into the model so we will know the correct center distance for the flywheel.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-img_7752.png  
Old 08-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

You originally started this build looking to use the Wagler Billet Motor and a two speed transmission, just wondering what happened there it certainly looks a very impressive motor offering up to 3500hp, coupled to your two speed it would have made one impressive revolutionary diesel package in an offshore boat.

Last edited by 999JAY; 08-03-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
For sure, you're not alone with that bud.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 999JAY
You originally started this build looking to use the Wagler Billet Motor and a two speed transmission, just wondering what happened there it certainly looks a very impressive motor offering up to 3500hp, coupled to your two speed it would have made one impressive revolutionary diesel package in an offshore boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Retzvxs
the engines were supposed to make over 1800 hp with 1500 hp continuous. A year and a half after they were guaranteed to be done they only had made a continuous 480 hp and a peak of 750 hp. And only one was partaially complete enough to Dyno it. I was sick of the lies from him so I went with cummins.

This will be going to court soon so I cannot say much more.. I am not slandering him just stating the facts that I have video tape proof of.

I don't want this thread to go down that road, I will start a new thread about that after we are done. So if people could refrain from talking about the other engines it will be easier..

when he claimed the 3500 hp engine made that much power it had not actually ever started, then when it did start it did not work , in the end it made less then half the claimed power and blew up 4 seconds into a quarter mile run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.