Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 08-21-2017, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Regardless. I think the point is that the spikes could be much higher than the 2kftlb you're engine can make so you would still be saving the drives from those spikes. So you would set it above or at the engines max torque output despite that being above the drives rating.
yes there is no doubt that a clutch would help save the drive and you could set it high enough but he thought the drive guardian would reduce the torque the whole time to the drive so you would be able to use a 2000 ftlb engine on a 1200 ftlb drive and I was just trying to explain to little Darr that is not what it does.

I figure the transmission will be my drive guardian. I'm sure it will slip when we go through waves I just hope it catches again after it starts to slip.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
At first we did not want to run the stock manifold because the water jacket comes out on the flange that the turbo mounts to so we would be limited to the factory turbo, and it would be more restrictive then one we would make, Then we decided it would be easier to use the stock manifold and build a spacer between the manifold and turbo to have a place for the water to come out, but no one has the factory manifolds in stock. Cummins does not have any and I have not found any place that has any blown up engines or replacement parts to get one.

What did you finally do for the exhaust manifold? Water jacketed custom made creation you modified a stock manifold?
Old 08-31-2017, 03:49 PM
Registered

Drive trim:

Most speed boats with a bustle you cannot trim the drive up as far as the cylinder will let it go or the drive will hit the overhang. My boat is a little taller which lets the drive trim completely above the bottom of the boat. That may come in handy when were stuck on a sand bar somewhere trying to take a short cut.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-drive-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-drive-2.jpg  
Old 08-31-2017, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 23 Posts

Is it an optical illusion or are the transoms mounted at an angle?
Old 08-31-2017, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TxHawk
I'm sorry but on my phone I can't see this. Can you share this. I don't think it's true. Love this ship. Thanks for sharing everything your doing on this build. We will do anything we can' to see this Dream Come True.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TxHawk
Its just an optical illusion, Some of the pics it looks tilted one way and some the other. But no they are straight to the boat.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 492 Posts

".........That may come in handy when were stuck on a sand bar somewhere trying to take a short cut.
So you do take short cuts? Wouldn't know it from reading this thread.
Looks sensational, thanks for all the posting.

RR
Old 08-31-2017, 11:40 PM
Registered

Bell housings fit, except the pipe that goes to the intercooler had to modified a little to clear.

Anyone know if a dodge truck factory power steering pump would work instead of using a Saginaw style pump? The factory one will bolt right on, it has a way to take off the reservoir and use single external tank. On the factory marine cummins I tried in the boat I used a gear driven pump off the rear gear drive on the engine but these engines do not have a rear gear drive. And all the front gear drives are being used.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-engine-3.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-engine-4.jpg  
Old 09-01-2017, 06:50 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 166 Likes on 94 Posts

Bell housings fit, except the pipe that goes to the intercooler had to modified a little to clear.

Anyone know if a dodge truck factory power steering pump would work instead of using a Saginaw style pump? The factory one will bolt right on, it has a way to take off the reservoir and use single external tank. On the factory marine cummins I tried in the boat I used a gear driven pump off the rear gear drive on the engine but these engines do not have a rear gear drive. And all the front gear drives are being used.
I bet it would, can you get the pressure/flow specs? Post a picture of the pump so we can see it.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mbam
I bet it would, can you get the pressure/flow specs? Post a picture of the pump so we can see it.
I just ask him to send a pic of the power steering pump and what year/model its off of. The best I can tell looking them up is it has 1500-1600 psi and 3-4 gpm at 1500 rpm. So I think that should work.

When I was ordering the pump for the marine cummins I wanted to make sure I had enough pressure and flow to where it could turn the drives really easy and really fast. I was not sure how much pressure and flow it would need with the arneson so when I spec'd the pump on the marine cummins I used one that would make 3000 psi and flowed 35 gpm at 3200 rpm and was capable of 27 HP. Needless to say it was enough. I could turn it lock to lock in about one second using one finger.

Update: Engine builder just called and said the factory ones are not very reliable at the high rpm and we will have to make a custom mount for it so I will just use a normal boat pump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.