Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-13-2016, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 999JAY
I am sure you have already thought of this but one thing I added to my engines was a mechanical flap on the turbo intakes to starve the engine of air in a runaway situation, just incase you have a turbo failure.
J
We have talked about this a few times of what we want and I have a separate oil system for the turbo and a shutoff valve on the oil anyways so we will just stop its oil.
The boat is different then a truck, normally if a boat did have a run away diesel you can just trim down and make turns to slow down and then deal with the situation, it will not be revved to the moon like in a truck.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

That should be suitable in your application as your engines use an electronic fuel system, my engines use mechanical pumps so I needed to cover two scenarios, turbo failure or pump governor/rack failure.
What about cooling I would imagine you are going closed cooling as there is a lot of aluminum in your setup, I am fabricating 2" through hull pickups because of the volume of water the turbo diesels need, along with pressure dumps if the volume is to high at speed.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The planning and technology to do this trip is really beyond my comprehension, its really incredible considering the size of boat but with all this technology I cant help but think that the way that skater is built is 20 year old boat building technology. Is that how they are all built ?
Old 03-13-2016, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
The planning and technology to do this trip is really beyond my comprehension, its really incredible considering the size of boat but with all this technology I cant help but think that the way that skater is built is 20 year old boat building technology. Is that how they are all built ?
I think it was mentioned before that they want a STRONG boat , some of the new composites just are not as strong as old style material for this type of venture this boat will be going on
Old 03-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
Have you happened to have noticed all the 20 plus year old Skaters still running?
Old 03-13-2016, 06:50 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow she is tall. Special fitment for her. Thanks for the photo to understand and smile.
And yes I have seen my share of containers floating 2" above water. Picnic tables, refrigerators around Bahamas. Lake Michigan was the picnic tables. Mississipp was lots of milk crates, logs. The worst was Bahamas berry island. Tornadoes, ships always in my way. So much fun brother and memories. Kick butt.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 152 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
Have you happened to have noticed all the 20 plus year old Skaters still running?
Ya like how bout Predator 1 and Kenny with Gone Again, not only running but winning top gun at some big time shoot outs. We all know Skaters can run in the big nasty rough stuff, but it's their ability to be fast & quick as well.

When I rode in the 388 with 1350s, that boat handled rough stuff and then out ran everything with top end speed and quickness this was even at Skaterfest last year.

Skater makes a boat that does everything so good that the competition can't do any one thing that can beat you. Reminds me of the FA-18 Super Hornet, there is a reason they give that plane two assignments: Fighter/Attack... FYI side note for kicks- an FA18 during the 1st few days of the gulf war, shot down 2 migs in air to air combat while also fully loaded with bombs actually on a bombing mission- they engaged 2 enemy aircraft and both hornets blew them out of the sky. It's the only time ever a dog fight was won while the planes were fully loaded with bombs on an attack mission. Can you say versatility to a T?!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about the Chicago to Detroit run? I think in the 80's Don Johnson and Walter Payton tried to do it, and if I remember right, they lost a prop or had mechanical issues up in the Straights of Mackinaw. I do remember them flying by Port Huron, people were lined up along the shoreline to see them go by.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Tyson, are you going to have any protection from the sun during the day while running or if something happens and you have to limp in?

Great project I am more than impressed with your knowledge and the project. So much more than just the pop up snap guy LOL
Old 03-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
The blender is for making Tristan margaritas during the run so she won't have a nervous breakdown.
Good one!!! Lol😄

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.