Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 01-05-2018, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Tyson,

Can you shrink-wrap most of your exposed areas for the ride home?

Jon
Old 01-05-2018, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
When I was driving towards SLC I started calling truck washes to see if anyone would be open, There was only one that was open and it was going to close at 4 pm and not open till tuesday. It was 9:36 am and my gps said I was 6 hours away. I ask them if they were going to stop washing at 4 or stop the line from adding up at 4. They said if I was in line by 4 that they would wash it. Keep in mind the gps is figuring on speed you would run in a car, not a Freighliner hauling a big boat through the mountains. So I started driving as fast as I could knowing it would slow down going up hills and I would have to make up that time going down hills. I did not stop for lunch, pulled into one truck stop and put in a little fuel as quick as I could to make sure I would make it. While I was driving I called everywhere trying to find a manual car wash that a semi would fit in and could not find anywhere to wash it if I did not make it in time. I ended up calling a guy that I have never met that lives in SLC that is having a new Skater built and was asking him if he knew of any car washes it would fit in. He said there were not any but to just bring it to his house and he has warm water hose hookup and brushes, boat soap, ect. . He said he likes cleaning boats and that he would help me wash it. So I kept trying to make it to the truck wash so we would not have to spend new years eve in the cold washing the boat.

After some pretty insane driving I make it to the truck wash at 3:48 pm and they had yellow caution tape across the entrance and closed signs in the driveway. I went in and talked to them and they said they had told me that so to go ahead and pull around. They washed it and I gave each of the guys in there a tip for staying. They did a good job on the truck (because thats what they do) but did not get the trailer and boat as good as I wanted so I headed over to the Guy that is building a new Skaters house to touch up the trailer and make sure I get the tilt mechanism and air bag suspension system and leveling brackets good because it would be bad if that stuff rusted. When I get there he has hoses strung out to the street a wash bucket with soap and water and brushes ready. He starts scrubbing the trailer and I was following him rinsing it. He is laying on the ground scrubbing the bottom of the trailer and axles, ect. ( keep in mind I have never met him before and its cold and dark out on new years eve, this is what Skater guys do for people) We got it all washed and it looks new again. The trailer is still black again and did not rust away. So to the original question in the post, yes you can haul in the winter, just clean it good when you stop.
Probably my favourite post. I'm happy to hear things coming together for you. I'll be watching the live feed!!!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerBurich
Tyson, I have been using a combination of Fluid Film and WD40 sprayed out of a pump up garden sprayer for corrosion resistance due to salted roads here in Illinois. I basically spray it on the entire underneath of my Jeep daily driver. You could use it on the mechanical and uncoated parts of your trailer for the return trip home. Good luck with the testing!

Ive used this stuff also before. it does seem to help quite a bit for keeping vehicles nicer for longer with dealing with michigan winters. probably wouldnt be a abd idea to hit the trailer parts with it.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Been checking every day for an update, glad to see the boat is hitting the water again. Good luck man! You are my hero!
Old 01-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

We just put fuel in the boat , should be there at 10:30 - 10:40 depends on how many more hills I have to go up.

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/jo...nt-conditions/

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 01-05-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:24 AM
Registered

Default Live cam

The live cam just went down.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Registered

Tyson has arrived at the launch!! Watching it live is awesome!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 391 Likes on 220 Posts

Cam is up. So cool to see just pull in! Good luck!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

watching as well.

Tyson- how long is the whole rig set up? looks super long
Old 01-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Just logged on the cam to see and happen to catch you backing down the ramp. Good luck! Hope all goes well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.