Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-14-2016, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

40,000 pics YIKES I certainly can relate to the challenges of transferring & editing that many pics while trying to post in order.
I like the air support / pit crew element. Sounds like a great plan.

You are doing an excellent job so keep it coming!

My next question will be about sponsorship & financial support for the longer record events.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
With regard to keeping water out of the cockpit from weather or sea conditions why couldn't there be a zippered in cockpit skirt that at least keeps the majority of the unwanted water out. I know it can't fit like a kayak and your ability to move around in the cockpit is also paramount but I would think if the zipper hem was permanently affixed to the interior top edge of the cockpit opening you'd keep the unwanted water out + your gear & supplies drier w/o inhibiting mobility.
I agree with this. Why wouldn't you make something that was about the height of a canopy that attached to the trailing edge of the windshield with a zipper and kept water/sun out of the front two seats, but could be deployed taken down easily when needed. On the back side for support you could use a collapsible stainless frame that went down to the cockpit floor behind the front two seats.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
I agree with this. Why wouldn't you make something that was about the height of a canopy that attached to the trailing edge of the windshield with a zipper and kept water/sun out of the front two seats, but could be deployed taken down easily when needed. On the back side for support you could use a collapsible stainless frame that went down to the cockpit floor behind the front two seats.
We are going to have a piece on the back edge of the windshield the has a channel that that sticks up 1/8" and wraps around to the back to catch rain and small amounts of water that are running up the windshield so they don't just go over the edge and drop on us.

We're thinking about putting a t-slot on it that we can slide a soft cover around it that in theory would raise up at speed the way a top on a convertible car does with a stiff back edge to keep it from flapping and have it stop just behind us so it would only need to be a couple feet long
Old 03-14-2016, 08:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 641 Likes on 300 Posts

Those that know Tyson- Know he never Sleeps!
Old 03-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you for posting this project.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Those that know Tyson- Know he never Sleeps!
It appears that way based on the post times!
Old 03-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

We may have to call a 'silence period' on this thread for a few weeks so he can finish the boat!

Brilliant work on the boat and thanks for keeping the thread updated. This is looking like an all time greatest thread. The ultimate offshore only boating project.......

RR
Old 03-14-2016, 10:06 AM
mxz
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome thread for sure. Being a Mechanical Engineer in a machine shop this thread is really cool to me, you guys have some fantastic ideas. Good luck in all of your endeavors and I hope you are successful in all of them. Can't wait to see the finished project.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mxz
Awesome thread for sure. Being a Mechanical Engineer in a machine shop this thread is really cool to me, you guys have some fantastic ideas. Good luck in all of your endeavors and I hope you are successful in all of them. Can't wait to see the finished project.
You will really appreciate it when we start getting to the rigging pics. I have a machine shop so we have made a lot of custom stuff for the boat.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:45 AM
mxz
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
You will really appreciate it when we start getting to the rigging pics. I have a machine shop so we have made a lot of custom stuff for the boat.
I can only imagine and I cannot wait to see it. You do some awesome work no doubt.......... You guys by any chance hiring? lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.