Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-08-2018, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that permanent tube from the turbo to the intercooler? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't crack after a few runs at the intercooler.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Baldie
Is that permanent tube from the turbo to the intercooler? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't crack after a few runs at the intercooler.
looks like since everything is hard mounted to the engine everything will be moving and vibrating at the same time. i'd bet it'll be fine. we've done the same thing on race cars and have zero issues.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:11 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

I flew back out to Salt lake city to get the boat from the storage building and take it to Industrial Injection to put the engine back in. Last week one of the guys from Industrial Injection drove by the building and there was a line of train cars in front of the door where there is not enough room to pull the boat out. I called the storage company and told them I am flying out there on Monday march 12th but that I was going to have the guys from Industrial Injection get the boat out on Friday March 9th because I put it in the building Jan 9 th and I did not want to get charged for another month if I waited till Monday. They told me they would have the train cars moved by thursday the 8th. The guys from Industrial drove out there on friday the 9th and the train cars were still sitting there. I called and the storage place said that they thought I had said I would not be there till Monday so they had not moved them yet but they would make sure they were out of the way by the time I got there monday morning. I arrived at the storage building monday morning and they said I had to pay for the next month since I did not have it out on Friday. After I paid them we drive out to the building and the train cars are still in the way. After waiting a few hours for them to get the train cars moved the guys from Industrial had to leave to go to a meeting so I would not have any help that I needed getting the boat out because it was tight getting it in the building. After another hour they finally moved the train cars enough for me to get the boat out.. So I had to pay for an extra months storage but I had to wait for hours for them to move the train cars so I could get the boat out? Wait till they see my hourly rate bill. On principal if they do not do the right thing and credit me back the last charge I will be canceling all three charges.

What I didn't mention was when I was calling around trying to find a place to store it I told them the exact size and they gave me a price. I arrived there about 3 hours before my flight home and they said it was bigger then they thought it was going to be and it would cost twice as much to store it as what they quoted. I did not have time to take it somewhere else so I had to go ahead and pay twice as much as it was supposed to cost. After wasting my time we will see if that was a good idea to charge me twice as much, they might have screwed themselves out of all of it. I don't mind paying them to store it, but this situation was not right.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 803 Likes on 453 Posts

That is a BS. situation from the get-go. Hopefully after all of this, it will be just something you shake your head at rethinking of what it took to build the boat as you are running it hard and trouble free.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Train cars are just there to fill you up with the Diesel. Should have enough fuel now for testing.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SKammeraad
looks like since everything is hard mounted to the engine everything will be moving and vibrating at the same time. i'd bet it'll be fine. we've done the same thing on race cars and have zero issues.
Race cars that have a stainless tube going to an aluminum intercooler that will be running for hours on end in rough conditions? Just pointing out a simple failure that could put you down in the middle of no where for an easy fix.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:15 PM
Registered

How big of a turbo did you use? I'm not sure, but it's really big and looks cool

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 03-13-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Registered

Don't let your engine builder or marina charge you for ten hours to put an engine in it only takes 14 seconds.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
Don't let your engine builder or marina charge you for ten hours to put an engine in it only takes 14 seconds.

https://youtu.be/p6GK6gr0428
After dealing with the storage dickholeioles and tar trains, you still have enough sense of humor left to post that? There is something very specially wrong with you. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:04 AM
Registered

We have the engines fully rigged and have ran on the hose for awhile, changed oil, fuel filters, ect. We're going to skip running it at one of the little reservoirs around here and go ahead and head to Lake Havasu on Thursday morning. I should arrive around 9-10 Thursday night. Where should I put the boat in the lake at? I have usually used the nautical's ramp, but is there anywhere else anyone would suggest using?

we will probably be testing out of the nautical on Friday morning, if it runs ok we will probably run around there for a few hours and then if we feel real confident we will head up river to pirates cove. If anyone's bored come down and say hi.

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 03-15-2018 at 01:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.