VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 633 Likes on 294 Posts

Time for some Rooost pics

Great work T
Old 03-20-2018, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost want to click the "like" on the oil pic just because you seem to have such a good attitude about everything. Hope she rips and the oil is the worst thing you deal with!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
when we un-tilted the boat and looked in the engine compartment all the engine oil had ran out of both engines and was all over the place. When they did the compound turbos the engine vent moved to a different place and it was under the oil level when its tilted. I should have noticed so that is my fault. This pic is of the engine compartment on the high side, it was not near as bad but we had already cleaned most of the other one. All the oil from the high side engine ran through the holes for air and wires to go through and was all over the low side engine.

Wow, Nothing worse to clean up than diesel oil! (except, maybe tranny oil)...... The boat is looking great. You have more dedication than most.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 492 Posts

You're definitely no mouse but you do share the same determination and courage of this little guy in overcoming obstacles.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
Hay looks good you might want to rethink those crank case vents get it out of the bilge just a thought had to get mine out of the bilge good luck
On the crank case vents, we had a catch can that had baffles in it and a drain out the bottom that goes down to the oil pan. Besides the drain back to the oil pan being on the downhill side when its tilted there was another problem, for some reason the starboard engine when we had it at 4000 rpm for several minutes would fill the catch can all the way to the top with oil and it was running out the filters in the top. I had the hatches partially open so we could keep an eye on everything so the air rushing past the breathers took the oil and sprayed it all over the engine compartment (again) and all over the back of the boat. We stopped and checked the engine and it did not have any blow by so were not sure why it filled up with oil unless the cam was throwing enough oil at the hole that it filled it up which I don't think it could. The port engine had no oil in the catch can even when we hurt the engine and had a lot of blow by. On the other turbo setup I had the crank case vent going into the filter on the front of the turbo which would create a vacuum and just run any oil mist through the turbo and out the exhaust.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

After we ran the boat several passes we ended up hurting one of the engines, it was still running and we ran back to the trailer with both but it had a lot more blow by then it had when we started. What were not sure is the first time I ran the boat and blew one up the other one should have been hurt but it was showing good compression so we did not take it out. We thought maybe it was a tune problem with the one that blew up and the other one might have been ok. So that engine has not been taken out since we put them in so it has had several really high exhaust temp cycles put through it when we were changing the tune in Michigan and at the Jordanelle reservoir.

After we put it on the trailer we decided to go to a guys shop that was reasonably close and pull the engines out so I could take the boat home with me and they could take the engines back with them and we would not loose the time for me having to take them out when I got home and then shipping the engines back to them. We took both out so they could take apart the good one also to see if it had any cylinder wall wear, ect. If it did not have any problems/ wear then the damage on the bad one might have been from previous running. At this point were thinking that the pistons are getting hot and swelling and the engine is not gaining size due to the continuous cold water so the difference in expansion is making the pistons grab the side walls and score them.

We were on the water running at Lake Havasu at around 6 pm, then we loaded it up and took the props back to Vern, and hauled it to Yucca Arizona to a guys shop and used his wrecker to pull the engines out. Then I left there and drove straight through to Joplin, mo and had it in my parking lot washing it at 6:30 AM Sunday. We are a pretty efficient operation. Running on lake havasu at 6 pm on friday to both engines pulled out and boat all the way back to Joplin mo on sunday moring at 6:30 am.

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 03-20-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know if you made some custom crates to ship those motors you would stop blowing them up
Old 03-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry for the luck Tyson. You guys will get it figured out. This reminds me of the 94' Indy Ilmor Penske pushrod engine that wouldn't stop blowing up until the day it counted.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Fantastic job on your project. You have way more patience and dedication than I could ever muster on something like this. I’m sure with that drive you will get your engine problem fixed.

On another note I sure would like to see you drop a pair of Merc 1100s in there and do endurance runs. Maybe somewhat of a sponsorship through mercury. Would be a great platform to showcase what their new engines are capable of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.