Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exciting project. Will definitely increase the clicks for OSO.

What kind of suspension did you incorporate for either the seats or entire cockpit? Or will you simply bring a massive supply of Doan's
Old 03-14-2016, 02:19 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
Yes the boat is almost complete, on your earlier question. I am trying to show people a chronological time line of building it. I would post more pictures each night to move it along faster but they somehow got knocked out of order on my phone and I have 40,000 pictures in my phone. So it takes me around 3 hours each night to dig through the pics and find some to put in order, then email to my self to get onto computer, then make a post and the pictures end up upside down so I have to edit the picture and redo the post to make it right. Even tho the boat is almost complete I still welcome any ideas or suggestions because we can always go back and change stuff. When its done and were out testing it I'm sure we will find things we want to change.

I know there are a lot of different ways we could have done cockpit drains, we looked at doing it everyway anyone has suggested so far but what we have is guaranteed open when we want it open and guaranteed watertight when we want it closed.

We need to be able to move around easily in the cockpit, which is why its not canopied. And we are going to use the boat as a pleasure boat going to poker runs. All of our safety gear will be in coolers that will keep them dry and float if the boat sinks.

On sleeping, when we do the around the world run we will have to stop basically once a day for fuel. We will have a pit crew in a jet flying ahead of us to most of the stops and getting stuff ready so when we arrive they can start putting fuel in the boat and checking over all the stuff. Tightening bolts, checking or changing oil, replenishing supplies, using a camera on a pole to look under the bottom for damage or cracks, changing props according to how long our next leg is and weather conditions, ect. And while they are doing all that which will take a few hours we will be sleeping. Then when its done wake us up and off we will go to the next stop. We will have a few big bean bags on the boat that we can sleep on if we need to.
I would suggest getting a dropbox or similar account and transfer all your pictures at one time. Much easier to edit once on the computer and they are safe. Most online storage for phones wont have the backup needed for that many pics, which means if the phone goes so do most of the pics. I plug in all my devices every few weeks and check for new pictures and files. Another nice feature is that dropbox can be accessed from almost any device any where.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome project!!! Thanks for sharing can't wait to see the finished product. Any thoughts on timeline as far as when you might attempt your record run. I assume you will probably use most of this summer just for shakedown and testing so maybe next year?
Old 03-14-2016, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You should see the engines. Artwork based on the few pics I have seen.....
Old 03-14-2016, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
Exciting project. Will definitely increase the clicks for OSO.

What kind of suspension did you incorporate for either the seats or entire cockpit? Or will you simply bring a massive supply of Doan's
The seats I have are from a company called Shockwave. They have 8" of travel using a Fox Motorcycle shock.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552367[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552368[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-3.jpg  
Old 03-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
The seats I have are from a company called Shockwave. They have 8" of travel using a Fox Motorcycle shock.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552367[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552368[/ATTACH]
I am a ex motocross racer and Porsche racer... But am pretty new at the HP boat stuff. Have you thought thru the vertical travel of the seats (suspension) in relation to the relative relationship of the steering wheel during the seat travel? Maybe the wheel relationship to the seat will extend the seat-to- wheel travel beyond acceptable limits??

Last edited by Taboma; 03-14-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Registered

Pics of the boat hanging in the paint booth spraying primer on the bottom.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552369[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552370[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552371[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552372[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-3.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-4.jpg  
Old 03-14-2016, 08:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Taboma
I am a ex motocross racer and Porsche racer... Have you thought thru the vertical travel of the seats (suspension) in relation to the relative relationship of the steering wheel during the seat travel? Maybe the wheel relationship to the seat will extend the seat-to- wheel travel beyond acceptable limits??
We tested the seats in the Skater diesel v-bottom and the travel distance did not seem to bother us on our relationship to the steering wheel.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Registered

Guide coat on the primer being sanded to make sure the boat is straight.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552373[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552374[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552375[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552376[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552377[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552378[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-3.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-4.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-5.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-6.jpg  

Old 03-14-2016, 08:47 PM
Registered

The bottom, tunnel, and lower sides painted black. Pete taking a selfie.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552386[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552387[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552388[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-1-14-.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-2-15-.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-3-15-.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 03-14-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.