Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-15-2016, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lookin great you two! Are we gonna take it for a quick spin around LOTO to up the record a little?
Old 03-15-2016, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
We have an attach point in front of the shark fin and will have a harness on to get in the engine compartment to work on them that will not have enough length to let us fall out the back of the boat. The same harness and tether length should work good hooked to the tow eye on the back to change props.

During the Bermuda challenge we had live video and people were watching it and all the sudden we stopped and you see chris jump overboard, People were like what the hell just happened? It was funny to see what people said on some of the forums. Then at night the camera was pretty dark and we broke another prop and people were saying I don't know what is happening but I see something shinny and a big wrench.
I am still amazed to this day that you guys not only changed, big heavy dangerous props in the middle of the ocean, you did it twice! And didn't drop anything? Truly a feat!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
I am still amazed to this day that you guys not only changed, big heavy dangerous props in the middle of the ocean, you did it twice! And didn't drop anything? Truly a feat!
They were definitely big and heavy, The second time was at night in the dark after we had been running for 13 hours straight in the ocean. I think the depth chart showed 12,000 feet deep water. We had no spare prop nuts or wrench. If we dropped the nut or wrench we might still be out there. Chris got cut from the prop, what you don't think about is if we had broke down and had to float for a couple weeks waiting on rescue having a small cut get infected could kill you. Here is a pic of the props. Were 19.5" dia 44 pitch 6 blades.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552487[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552488[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-200.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-201.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 03-17-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:04 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

I am assuming that this will be tilted for transport. Is the fin detachable? I think that would be a large thing to stick off the side when rolling down any road, around a turn, etc.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
I am assuming that this will be tilted for transport. Is the fin detachable? I think that would be a large thing to stick off the side when rolling down any road, around a turn, etc.
The shark fin is solid attached. The radars and satellite uplink will be on a plate with quick disconnects so they will come off easy. The fin is the same height as the windshield. so on the tilt it will only stick out as far as the windshield.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:43 AM
Registered

I've tried to upload photos for a few hours and the site is not working. I will try again tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tyson, Download dropbox and it will automatically sync all the photos from your phone to your computer and you can sort by chronological order. Also, it will give you a link for copying right into the post.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:31 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

About time you post some pictures on here..

Hows the endurance dyno testing looking?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd consider putting some kind of safety wire style attachment points on prop nuts and the prop itself, and a tether on the wrench for while you're doing the swap to take the fear of dropping something off our mind. It seems like an easy thing to do then just clip the wire off the prop and nut once it's on and finger tight. The wrench could just be tethered to the boat so you didn't have to hold onto it while swapping things out.

Amazing project BTW
Old 03-16-2016, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat

If we are running, pirates would be able to see the rooster tail no matter what the color of boat, but we can out run them. If we're broke down we may not want them to see us.
A-ha!!! Another use for the shark fin....would be a great mounting location for the M2 Browning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.