Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Some may call you OCD or rate your NERD level but IMO it's simply attention to detail.

Extra detail given to items that have absolutely NO functional benefit (like Philips screw head alignment) well we call those "Style Points" and those are worth a few mental 10ths of a second within the NASCAR garage. I say this b/c they place the competition in awe not to mention the distraction it causes them as they wonder how much time we put into the details that really count if we were willing to invest time in the non performance ones.

PS- all the external hardware on my boat is aligned as are all the outlet and switch plate screws in my home.

Last edited by NASCAT; 03-18-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify wasn't saying anything bad by joking about OCD and I wish I had as much patience for attention to the smallest details.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 153 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Some may call you OCD or rate your NERD level but IMO it's simply attention to detail.

Extra detail given to items that have absolutely NO functional benefit (like Philips screw head alignment) well we call those "Style Points" and those are worth a few mental 10ths of a second within the NASCAR garage. I say this b/c they place the competition in awe not to mention the distraction it causes them as they wonder how much time we put into the details that really count if we were willing to invest time in the non performance ones.

PS- all the external hardware on my boat is aligned as are all the outlet and switch plate screws in my home.
I've been in your home, I can attest to that! Lol
Old 03-18-2016, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

The valve body for my transmission. The transmission will be electric shift. I have designed and built a transmission that does not work like any transmission that has ever been built. Kind of risky, but I'm 99% sure its going to work. It will be able to run full time in forward and full time in reverse so that if we break props and have two that are left that spin the same direction we will just run a little slower but still be able to run. The added benefit is that we can run the props turning in or turning out just by flipping a switch. If were full of gas and the water is rough the first half we may run turning in if its more efficient that way. Then half way stop and switch the props to spinning out and run faster in the smooth water while were light on fuel. I made it so we can pull a cover off and replace a part to lock it in gear where it just becomes direct drive if the clutches burn up, pump or valve body fail.

Another thing with being electric shift, electronic throttle and autopilot, is I have the ability to run the boat by remote control. That will make unloading at the ramp easier by myself. I will just back down, unhook the bow eye and get back in the truck and start the boats engines, back it off the trailer into the middle of the lake, go park the truck and trailer then walk down to the dock and have the boat drive it self up to get me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552623[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-47.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (04-11-2024)
Old 03-18-2016, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Another thing with being electric shift, electronic throttle and autopilot, is I have the ability to run the boat by remote control. That will make unloading at the ramp easier by myself. I will just back down, unhook the bow eye and get back in the truck and start the boats engines, back it off the trailer into the middle of the lake, go park the truck and trailer then walk down to the dock and have the boat drive it self up to get me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552623[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

You would just be showing off at that point.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Make sure the batteries are charged in your remote! Had a show off come into our marina with a 55' aft cabin yacht, gets the boat about lined up, climbs off the swim platform with his fancy controller and then it died while the boat was all crossed up and he's on the dock lol pretty priceless
Old 03-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

The SIMRAD gps screens. We have a 19" in the middle, 2 - 12" on the front sides, and a 16" in the back of the console. This gives us the ability to leave one screen on an overview of our path, basically zoomed out. And then we each have our own screen to zoom in and out or check different paths, ect.
And the one on the back of the console will be controlled by a remote mounted next to one of the back seats for the person in the back to be able to help navigate.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552624[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552625[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-21.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-22.jpg  
Old 03-18-2016, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you need to switch things up and just provide the thread followers w/ a list of your oversights b/c I'm thinking that would be way shorter or maybe a blank sheet of paper.

You have covered so many details and possible scenarios as you've designed and built this boat it's absolutely incredible.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What poker runs do you plan on making?

Well planned and awesome boat.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You are solving problems that I never would have thought of. THIS is the best thread on the interweb right now. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.