Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-20-2016, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BradH
I have a couple ideas/questions, some may be OBE depending on where you are the the process.
2. Lock-out or restraint system for the suspension seats to limit or eliminate travel when the gas system fails. This could be as simple as a pin to fix the seat to the base, or some type of elastic restraint to give you some dampening. Are these stock seats or are you modifying them? Brad
The seats are made by Shockwave, they are used on military boats all over the world. They say one has never failed. We do have a way to pin them in place and we have some energy absorbers that look like a orange construction cone that we can put under the seat and they will act like a progressive shock. Tyson

I3. Is there a back-up for the engine hatch supports? Are the primary ones gas? Brad
The hatches will be gas shock for normal use and then we have a bar that will pin in like on the v-bottom for if were in high winds or seas. Tyson
I4. Some type of gloves and kevlar sleeves to protect against cuts when changing props. Brad
At the Miami boat show I found some gloves/sleeves for fishing that are really thin that are cut proof and fireproof but still can feel what your doing.
I5. Do you have plans to make bulkheads watertight? Will you be sealing penetrations? Brad
The boat is separated to three places forward and backward, and separated left to right. I have bilge pumps in the back compartments and in the front compartments. Tyson
I6. What are your plans for non-skid and grab rails on the deck? Brad
When we did the Bermuda run we put some clear grip tape down each side and in the middle. That way we could take it back off for normal use like poker runs. We wear our shoes on our boats, just make sure there are no rocks in the tread and they will not hurt the paint. We have tested different shoes on wet paint with a weight in the shoe to see what angle it will hold and the Sperry Kingfisher was the best we tested. Boating magazine has also done this test.
http://www.boatingmag.com/gear/boati...sts-boat-shoes
And for socks to walk on the boat with instead of shoes we are having made some socks with little rubber pads all over the bottom of them to give to everyone on the boat to get traction and not worry about the deck being hot. (We will eventually start selling these) We will also have a harness that we can put on and clip into hooks on the boat. Tyson
I7. What system are you using to record g forces on the boat and on yourself? Where on the boat are measuring? Brad
Gulf coast data is the system we are using for g forces, they have 3d shock sensors. we will be measuring shock load on us, and then one mounted to seat base to see the difference the seat makes. and a sensor at the back between the engines. Tyson

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 03-20-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm really impressed by what you're putting into this build. Can't wait to see the rigging.

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
The seats are made by Shockwave, they are used on military boats all over the world. They say one has never failed. We do have a way to pin them in place and we have some energy absorbers that look like a orange construction cone that we can put under the seat and they will act like a progressive shock. Tyson
It might be good for us to talk offline about seats and failures, I have some experience with them. Let me know how to get in touch if you're interested, or I can drop Chris an email. Brad

Last edited by BradH; 03-20-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

In this photo you can see where the angle of the wedge makes the ball socket on the arneson more in line with the bottom of the boat so that the u-joint is not bent so far out for normal running. The drive is down as low as it will go.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552705[/ATTACH]
Do you have the drive mounted pretty high or is the way the picture is taken.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kvogt
Do you have the drive mounted pretty high or is the way the picture is taken.
The Back of the ball socket is around 3/4" up from the bottom. It has to clear the water and not drag when boat is slightly tilted up. Normally the ball socket would be 1/2" - 5/8" up from the bottom but we have a 6" stand off so we raised it another 1/4"

this may give you a better angle, and the other pic is why we made the bussle the length that we did, if you were moving forward at any speed at all and fell off the back you would clear the prop and for changing props I can lower the prop straight down to the prop shaft.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552713[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552714[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-arneson-16.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-arneson-17.jpg  
Old 03-20-2016, 02:44 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 876 Likes on 325 Posts

Maybe it's been answered, but what type of communications devices will you have on board to contact other ships if you're in trouble especially if you're in the middle of nowhere Indian Ocean?
Old 03-20-2016, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

The Back of the ball socket is around 3/4" up from the bottom. It has to clear the water and not drag when boat is slightly tilted up. Normally the ball socket would be 1/2" - 5/8" up from the bottom but we have a 6" stand off so we raised it another 1/4"

this may give you a better angle, and the other pic is why we made the bussle the length that we did, if you were moving forward at any speed at all and fell off the back you would clear the prop and for changing props I can lower the prop straight down to the prop shaft.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552713[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552714[/ATTACH]

That's perfect (but you already knew that). It looks higher in that picture.

Did you stay with about a 7 degree down angle on the ball socket or did you shallow it up a bit.

Last edited by kvogt; 03-20-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What a cool venture - I hope you have some good sponsors for all of this...
Old 03-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

The socks you mentioned... hospital gripper socks.....

I used to use them when I was helping do boat inspections with OPA. they look dorky but they work great.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the best threads on any forum to date. Thanks again for the quick "skater tow" couple years back! (42 Fountain Aqua Fin cove) Wish you guys best of luck!! Thanks again!
Old 03-20-2016, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by 24OL4NOW
One of the best threads on any forum to date. Thanks again for the quick "skater tow" couple years back! (42 Fountain Aqua Fin cove) Wish you guys best of luck!! Thanks again!
Without a doubt!! This is the OSO I miss....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.