Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 04-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
With all of our modern technology, I find it most interesting that sail power still prevails as fastest way around the globe on water.
Here is your current competition Tyson. http://www.redbull.tv/videos/AP-1MHH...gate-the-globe
yes we know that a sail boat holds the record. They don't have to stop for fuel so they can take a shorter route. We are going after the overall record not just the powered boat record. Our goal will be 30 days. Try to knock the powered boat record in half and knock 15 days off the sailing record.

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 04-09-2016 at 08:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (04-12-2024)
Old 04-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
yes we know that a sail boat holds the record. They don't have to stop for fuel so they can take a shorter route. We are going after the overall record.
At 100+ cruise !!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

yes we know that a sail boat holds the record. They don't have to stop for fuel so they can take a shorter route. We are going after the overall record.
Figured you'd caught that fact.. According to the video, they were on track for under 45 days, till wind died out and screwed them. Keep your eye on that bad boy. She'll make 60 knots, and gets 24,000 miles per gallon on average...
Old 04-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Registered

Making the through hull fittings. Drilling the holes and resin. I put them on the side of the boat instead of transom so I can look from the cockpit to see if anything is coming out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553804[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553805[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553807[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553808[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553809[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553810[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553811[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-fittings-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-fittings-3.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-fittings-4.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-through-hull-4.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-through-hull-5.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-through-hull-8.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-through-hull-10.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-through-hull-11.jpg  
Old 04-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

yes we know that a sail boat holds the record. They don't have to stop for fuel so they can take a shorter route. We are going after the overall record not just the powered boat record. Our goal will be 30 days. Try to knock the powered boat record in half and knock 15 days off the sailing record.
I don't know what fuel prices are around the globe, but if you can average $5/gallon, depending on the route you can rack up 100k in just fuel. That's pretty bad ass.

What will you do for oil changes? Carry all of the supplies with you or have designated spots with the oil shipped and waiting?
Old 04-09-2016, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Some thickness in those sides!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmmii
I don't know what fuel prices are around the globe, but if you can average $5/gallon, depending on the route you can rack up 100k in just fuel. That's pretty bad ass.

What will you do for oil changes? Carry all of the supplies with you or have designated spots with the oil shipped and waiting?

That's a great question... Oil changes. What's the plan?
Old 04-11-2016, 06:19 AM
Registered

truck:

About a year ago late on a sunday night I was looking on ebay at Freightliners since I knew at some point I would need a truck to haul the boat with. I figured I would start getting an idea of what they are going for. It was around 11:00 at night and while I was looking at them my computer locked up so I messed with it for a few min then when it came back on I refreshed the page and a different truck was on there. I started looking at it and it was the perfect truck for what I'm trying to do and he had just listed it that minuite. It has a big storage box in the middle of it that I can take spare parts in and alot of storage boxes around the bottom of it. I could have a couple pallets loaded up with spare parts and safety gear that I would just have to load the pallets in it and take off to go do a run. So I did some checking and found a number for the guy trying to sell it and thought it was his business number so even tho it was midnight on a sunday I called it thinking I would just leave a message to call me in the morning. He answers the phone and we start talking about the truck and we come to an agreement on a price and in a few minuites he sends me a paypal request and I send him the money. So in twenty minuites at midnight on a sunday I went from thinking I would look at trucks that I might need to buy in the next year to owning the perfect truck. Here are the pics of it. It had 29,000 miles and looked brand new when I went to pick it up that week. I have not had to do anything to it, its been a perfect truck. Now the only problem is being white it will not go with the silver and black boat and trailer. Does anyone have any hookups on getting this truck painted black or silver for a reasonable price?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553906[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553907[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553908[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553909[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553910[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553911[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553912[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-truck-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-truck-3.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-truck-5.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-truck-6.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-truck-7.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-truck-8.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-truck-9.jpg  
Old 04-11-2016, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 803 Likes on 453 Posts

wrap it - Mild or wild, when you want to resell the rig - it can be a good basic white for the next owner
.... also cheaper changes when sponsors are added/removed
Old 04-11-2016, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We have many paint resources here but logistically it probably wouldn't make sense. A wrap would be a good solution just know that the jams of most of your compartments will still show white. You can line all the jams w/ black electrical tape as a quick fix.

PS- can the wife really drive the rig?

Last edited by NASCAT; 04-11-2016 at 07:19 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.