Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Just WOW! Looking forward to monitoring this story.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
These are the gas tanks in the front of my boat. We will only need to fill them on a few of the longest runs. I have a fuel pump From FASS fuel systems that works both directions that can transfer fuel from the main tanks to the front tanks and back. In the right situation I will be able to transfer fuel to the front tanks to make the boat handle big waves better with out it being like a water ballast tank that actually adds weight to the boat, I will only be moving weight around on the boat.
Are you going to consider carrying a spare motor for the FASS system? I've ran them on many of mine semi's, with not so good luck. We've had a few that have crapped the bed.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
SIMRAD Electronics are what we are using.

I am treating the boat as two completely separate boats from port to starboard. One engine will have two batteries hooked to it and 1 GPS, and 1 vhf radio and that is it. The other engine will have two batteries and all the rest of the electrical components, bilge pumps, lights, air compressor, radio, blender, ect.

This is the starboard SIMRAD system, nema and Ethernet diagrams.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552150[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552151[/ATTACH]
What is the "Skimmer' in your first schematic? I think that this is the coolest, most ambitious performance boat project that I have seen! Keep the thread going. I am definitely living this vicariously thru this thread. I would love to see this project in person. Please let me know if your boat reaches Missouri...I would be ecstatic to see it.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rollin1405
Are you going to consider carrying a spare motor for the FASS system? I've ran them on many of mine semi's, with not so good luck. We've had a few that have crapped the bed.
There is a crazy amount of fuel pumps in this boat. Fass electric pumps to prime the mechanical pumps before starting, then a low pressure Waterman mechanical pump to feed the three Bosch high pressure (40,000 psi) pumps. And then the Fass transfer pumps from front tanks to back tanks, and a Fass two direction pump to transfer fuel from port to starboard. That is all for each side.
So with common core math you take the one and add the next one then add the three and divide by 41 and times 26 then take the first number and add to the last number and take the square root of 5... And end up with 13 fuel pumps.

So to answer your question, There will be 5 Fass electric fuel pumps that will technically not be needed when we're running to swap out any that have a problem.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Taboma
What is the "Skimmer' in your first schematic? I think that this is the coolest, most ambitious performance boat project that I have seen! Keep the thread going. I am definitely living this vicariously thru this thread. I would love to see this project in person. Please let me know if your boat reaches Missouri...I would be ecstatic to see it.
The skimmer is a depth sounder that will be mounted on the back of the boat that will have side to side and forward reading depth and bottom contour.

We will be in Missouri a lot with the boat, I live in Joplin, and we have a place at Lake of the Ozarks.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

The scope and scale of this adventure is beyond belief.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Tyson great project thanks for sharing the build with us. Are you going to attempt the to break Howard Arneson's Mississippi River Challange record? If so I would love to help out if needed as I am in Arkanasa.

Also what type of arrangements are you making for sleeping and survival equipment on your long runs?
Old 03-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Last edited by jusabum; 03-11-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jusabum
I would NEVER challenge the guys at Skater, but using plywood directly conflicts with what naval and aerospace engineers would recommend. AND PLEASE, this is not to stir ANYTHING up, i'm just repeating what I have been told over the years and would like to hear why - i want to learn.
One word " Stronger " , They have been building boats out of wood for ever , nothing new there , to make them lighter and faster they use composites
Old 03-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Registered

My boat got the VIP treatment, here is Pete cutting the front of the boat to shape.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]552188[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552189[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552190[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552191[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552192[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-3.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-img_8797.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-img_9128.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 03-11-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.