Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 04-14-2016, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...tristan-49.jpg

Those are some sweet engines! but my allegiance is to the flag! "I pledge Allegiance to the flag........"
Old 04-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
We make some parts for Skater and other manufactures. When the boat is done I hope to show off some of the stuff we have built to try to sell and to show what were capable of for future business. We can design and build anything, so the boat will just be a tool to try to get different work. The boat has three purpose's, I like to go boating more then anyone, so it will be a boat I can go out and use to run around and have fun. Then it will also be used to try to set endurance records. I was fun to do the endurance records we have beat so it is something to do. Kind of like going to a go-cart track and riding around, you always try to go as fast as you can because it gives you a goal. You don't just drive it around slow looking around. The endurance records are the same way, they give you a goal that you try to meet. And the boat will be a marketing tool to get our name out there. When we do a long distance endurance record it may have nothing to do with making an injection mold for the armrest of a wheel chair manufacture but they may see something about us making a run and look up my company and call us to see if we have the ability to make something for them.
What about 3m, we've seen about 50 miles of tape around work areas. Dang, who has to to apply and remove all of that stuff ?.. jk, keep the pics coming!
Old 04-15-2016, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
What about 3m, we've seen about 50 miles of tape around work areas. Dang, who has to to apply and remove all of that stuff ?.. jk, keep the pics coming!
I ask Mike and he said they figure 80 - 100 rolls of tape per boat. Between tape to do the vacuum bagging then to make lines for body work, tape off graphics, painting the boat, and protecting stuff when rigging. Just doing the windshield is 5 rolls of tape.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Registered

Windows are trimmed to about the final size and shape. The lower line around the top is the height of the average Skater window. These are taller and longer to block the wind. The straight on view you can just see the top of the radar mount. The radar will be as low as it can get to stay out of harms way but still have the beam shoot over the windshield.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554182[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554183[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554184[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554185[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-3.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-4.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 04-15-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using the new doppler type radar or conventional?
Old 04-15-2016, 05:14 PM
Registered

The screws in the window are temporary till its all fitted. We machined these window buttons that will be on the outside of the window to give it a bigger contact area. They will have a silicone sleeve to insulate them from the window. There will be a thin layer of silicone material between the window and boat also.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554187[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554188[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554189[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554190[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554191[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-button-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-button-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-button-3.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-button-4.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-button-5.jpg  
Old 04-15-2016, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pstorti
Are you using the new doppler type radar or conventional?
This is the radar on my cat..... or ummmm... my cat on the radar going on my cat.

They call it a 4G radar, I assume it is based on some kind of cellular technology but I'm not sure. I will be looking into that tonight so I will know what it does.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554192[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-radar-cat-2.jpg  
Old 04-15-2016, 06:13 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

Windows are trimmed to about the final size and shape. The lower line around the top is the height of the average Skater window. These are taller and longer to block the wind. The straight on view you can just see the top of the radar mount. The radar will be as low as it can get to stay out of harms way but still have the beam shoot over the windshield.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554182[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554183[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554184[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554185[/ATTACH]
It appears you kept the taller height of the windshield all the way through the side taper as well?

And, is the storage box in it's final spot? If so, that shows how large the cockpit actually is. Wow.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:42 PM
Registered

That is the smallest radar I have ever seen.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Registered

The screws in the window are temporary till its all fitted. We machined these window buttons that will be on the outside of the window to give it a bigger contact area. They will have a silicone sleeve to insulate them from the window. There will be a thin layer of silicone material between the window and boat also.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554187[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554188[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554189[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554190[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554191[/ATTACH]
can't you buy those already made, I have something very similar on my boat. Did you make them from SS or AL?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.