Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-12-2016, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
Are you going to attempt the to break Howard Arneson's Mississippi River Challange record?
Yes, that is one of the records we are going to try to break, it is the oldest endurance powered boat record in the world starting back in the 1800's with steam powered paddle wheel boats. It's is also the most attempted record, they have documented over 1100 attempts at beating it. When Howard Arneson set the record in 1990 the media said it will "never be beaten" and not a single team has even attempted to challenge it- until now. We will attempt to beat it and if we do at least it will be with a boat that has his Arneson drives. The Mississippi record will be one of our first runs, you are never far from shore like the records across the ocean and you do not really have to wait to get a good weather day. Debris is the only problem and that is just luck weather you hit a partially submerged log.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
I have a machine shop so we designed and machined a lot of parts for the boat. Here are the trim pieces and covers for the cockpit drains. Most of the time we will have the covers on unless its going to be rough water or raining to make sure nothing goes out the back if you drop something like a phone.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552235[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552236[/ATTACH]
Couldn't you make the door like a flapper to open when water present and spring shut otherwise. Also a grid type cover to keep valuables in the boat. Seems a rogue wave in the night could send you scrambling to get the cover off .
Awesome project sir!

Last edited by buck35; 03-13-2016 at 01:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Engine endurance is going to be interesting, why did you not consider Seateks or Isottas? I know they are heavier but reliability is proven.
I have been out on a 46 Skater with Arnesons and Seatek 750s and the boat was surprising fast for such a heavy rig.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck35
Couldn't you make the door like a flapper to open when water present and spring shut otherwise. Also a grid type cover to keep valuables in the boat. Seems a rouge wave in the night could send you scrambling to get the cover off .
Awesome project sir!
To put a flapper and mechanism in the tube would have taken up space for water flow and not been guaranteed watertight.
We had originally built a slide gate for it but wanted to make sure it was completely water tight, it was heavier and the mechanism could fail. We will also have a rubber flapper in the back. We made a cover with little holes in it too and will have a spare sealed cover incase we loose one. But most of the time the solid cover will be on it, and we will take it off only to do long distance runs.

:::Anyone that reads this thread:::

Don't be afraid to ask questions or make suggestions. Anytime someone is doing something that is risking there lives there's no stupid question or suggestion to make it better/safer.

We have spent three years thinking about everything we could to make this boat the best/safest boat we could build for doing long distance endurance runs. We have consulted with everybody from old time offshore powerboat racers, sailboat racers, meteorologist, wilderness survival guides, sports medicine doctors, nutritionists, mechanical engineers and janitors. But nobody has done everything or been in every situation, so we will gladly accept any suggestions.

Thank you for any input,
Tyson Garvin.

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 03-12-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 999JAY
Engine endurance is going to be interesting, why did you not consider Seateks or Isottas? I know they are heavier but reliability is proven.
Between weight, size, power and rpm range they would not be able to do what we wanted.
The engines we have are half the weight and twice the power. We do not need an engine designed to run for 20,000 hours, it only needs to live for 1,000 hours. The engines we are using will be easier to fix if there is a problem. And we plan on marketing and selling these engines if they do live for several long distance endurance runs and make it around the world.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
I have a machine shop so we designed and machined a lot of parts for the boat. Here are the trim pieces and covers for the cockpit drains. Most of the time we will have the covers on unless its going to be rough water or raining to make sure nothing goes out the back if you drop something like a phone.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552235[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]552236[/ATTACH]
I like how you put in a groove for an o-ring to seal it properly. great idea!
Old 03-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds like a really nice package, cannot wait to see to see some engine and driveline photos.

Just on question are you going to be running a tie bar on the Arnesons?
Old 03-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Tyson,
Thanks for chatting with me about the 318 and 338 skater in Miami. I saw the Wagler Engine there and it is a piece of Art. Could you elaborate a little more on power transmission from the "bellhousing" to the Arnesons? This project is very exciting to say the least. Thanks, Tyler
Old 03-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I saw a clip on 60 min about extreme sports insurance. Where you pay a monthly fee and if anything happens to you, they have teams around the globe ready to come get you by helicopter or what ever it takes. You probably already know about this but it sounds like something you might investigate if you haven't already.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:11 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
The 2+ yrs of planning that's gone into preparing for this event and boat construction become so evident as you share the many unique features you've incorporated into the build as well as the explanations why. As a details guy I truly appreciate the attention to detail that's going into this project. Like many others I'm sincerely enjoying this thread and your willingness to share.
With your detail skills this kind of thing must hold your attention. And you probably, finally, have something to show the shop guys that will draw their interest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.