What  should  a poker run BE ? >

What should a poker run BE ?

Notices

What should a poker run BE ?

Old 03-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Offshore Dreamer
The issue of what you are bringing up, can also be seen by people who can only watch poker runs, either online or in person.

Way to much "hey look at me with my boat at the dock" or "Hey look at me, I even hired Craigs List "Models" for my "crew""

If I wanted to see that, I'd go to Shooters on a Sunday.

In my opinion, fans and owners want to run these boats fast within the company of a like minded community, isn't that the point, in addition to all the friends, atmosphere, etc.?
The hired girls always cracks me up.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^ might crack you up but yall sure enjoy looking at them
Old 03-23-2016, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fun with just a touch of risk
Old 03-23-2016, 01:19 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isn't that the definition of speed addiction?
Old 03-23-2016, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I did my first run last year and had a blast. I was running around 60-65 the hole time and was in the middle of the pack. It was a leopa run on lake Erie and every one was cool to hang out with. I hope to do more this summer
Old 03-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by class6
A150 MPH boat is easy to pass when it's broken.
lol

Last years LKN Fun Run, i towed two "Fast Cats" back to the dock. I think that means I finished ahead of them?
Old 03-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Fun with just a touch of risk
The hired girls or the poker runs?
Old 03-24-2016, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
I would like a poker run that is actually a "RUN" and not so much a "poker STOP"!
I bought my boat to run it, not just sit and look cool at the dock.
By the time you have a lunch stop, card stops, fuel stops (if necessary), etc. you spend all day in a poker run and put 2-3 hours on your boat. Not worth it, IMHO.
Additionally, doing a run of some sort in conjunction with a radar event in which top speeds can be reached safely is a huge bonus, as well as benefiting a worthy cause.
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but those are the things I look for in a poker run.
Bring your boat Up to Boyne. The run is about 140 miles. But the run is on Saturday and many start the event with some other unofficial fun runs thursday and friday. Options before the official run are endless. Run up to Mackinac island, down to lealand, down to Traverse City. You will get to "run" your boat and if you dont its your own fault. Its a great event.

check it out at Boynethunder.com

Sorry Rus didnt mean to hijack your thread
Old 03-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drpete3
Bring your boat Up to Boyne. The run is about 140 miles. But the run is on Saturday and many start the event with some other unofficial fun runs thursday and friday. Options before the official run are endless. Run up to Mackinac island, down to lealand, down to Traverse City. You will get to "run" your boat and if you dont its your own fault. Its a great event.

check it out at Boynethunder.com

Sorry Rus didnt mean to hijack your thread
We boat our azzes off at Boyne. In fact we have 500 mile trip planned in the days leading up to it. Never, ever a shortage of boating at that event. If 140 miles of open water isn't enough, then maybe you should start hanging out with Bobthebuilder

Hope to see you up there!
Old 03-24-2016, 01:37 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,382 Posts

I'm not trying to push Speed On The Water's latest digital magazine (OK, I'm always trying to promote it a little, so here's the download link, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...issue/download) but it has an article on the Miami Boat Show Poker Run—much of it from a historical perspective—that has a lot of good on information how that run has succeeded for the past 21 years. I interviewed two total newcomers to the event—one with a 36-foot Eliminator cat, hardly a "big boat" by today's standards, and another with a 51-foot Outerlimits—and they both loved the run, for different reasons. I interviewed people who'd done it four or five times (as I have) and one guy (Larry Goldman of Xtreme Powerboats) who's done almost all of them since the event began.

I think the story answers a lot of the questions the thread starter is asking. And they aren't "my" answers—they're answers from the people most closely involved, including Stu Jones of the Florida Powerboat Club

Yes, Jacksonville was canceled this year but, at least from where I sit, poker runs are not in decline.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 03-24-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.