What's everyone doing about anchors?

Notices

What's everyone doing about anchors?

Old 04-21-2016, 10:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Anchor

I did the same thing as Tom A, I put in an old life vest on the bottom of the locker for padding in the anchor locker. I use the "Digger Anchor", it holds my 38 Donzi really well, and specifically says to not use a chain, just line to the anchor. just google digger anchor. good luck.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:35 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

I use a Danforth/Fluke style anchor that I picked up at a LOTO Walmart several years ago. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Greenfield...Black/32929658
It has a thick PVC coating to prevent scratches. I don't use a chain. Works very well and pretty cheap.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I use a Danforth/Fluke style anchor that I picked up at a LOTO Walmart several years ago. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Greenfield...Black/32929658
It has a thick PVC coating to prevent scratches. I don't use a chain. Works very well and pretty cheap.
On wow that`s nice. That could prevent a lot of expensive paint work.
Last year someone (ehm..wife) put a scratch in the paint when pulling the anchor. Luckily it buffed out.
I was thinking of Plastic Dipping the ends.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Depends on what type of bottom your anchoring in

Chain is ONLY for abrasion against sharp objects on the bottom

Letting out enough SCOPE is what sets and holds the anchor

They make protected anchor bags also for storage

One option for easier handling is an aluminum anchor like a fortress, with only line and at least 100', and a second set up for the stern with at least 50' of line.

Drop the front over the side, walk the line up to the bow, back up loosely letting out about 100' of line, throw the stern out, now SET the bow anchor, once hooked pull forward pulling back in maybe 50' of line, now SET the stern anchor. Keep both lines taughnt so they don't drag on the bottom.

(Legth of line depends on size of boat, more line for larger boat, more line also for more scope for easier setting, more line obviously for deeper water)

I disagree the chain is ONLY for abrasion.
The heavy chain helps set the anchor by lowering it to the ground while it`s being dragged.Also helps keep it set with less scope out .

Letting out 100' that wouldn`t work at any beach I`ve been at , first with your method I`be be 50' away from the beach and secondly 50' of line in front? When I have 30' I have to watch it cause some jerk is always running over it.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I disagree the chain is ONLY for abrasion.
The heavy chain helps set the anchor by lowering it to the ground while it`s being dragged.Also helps keep it set with less scope out .

Letting out 100' that wouldn`t work at any beach I`ve been at , first with your method I`be be 50' away from the beach and secondly 50' of line in front? When I have 30' I have to watch it cause some jerk is always running over it.
How much line you let out should be dependent on depth. The traditional guide for most anchors for their maximum holding power require a 7:1 scope. i.e. for 10 ft of water depth use 70 ft of line. Now most use much less and wonder why their anchor didn't hold.
That's one of the reasons we use the box anchor. There rule of thumb is 3:1 scope vs traditional anchor's 7:1. thus for 10ft water depth, you should use 30ft of line. for 20ft use 60, and so on. If your worried about someone running over your anchor line, use a anchor buoy so they know there's a line there.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 556 Posts

JZ, I run a Box Anchor for ALL the boating I do in our area. The ONLY time it didn't work well was in Mattawoman Creek when it was 3' thick with hydrilla everywhere. **Note, NO ONE was able to get an anchor to stick that weekend, no matter what type they had. We just rafted in the middle of the cove and drifted.

OLD thread, but I still do the exact same thing to this day:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...answering.html
**but I keep the dufflebag in a cabin compartment now, not under the backseat.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Large Box Anchor all the way.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Exactly what I do
+2 Like mspdoc I also use the Digger anchor and the best part using the Digger is there is no need for that 3 feet of chain you mentioned. I carry two of them under that small rear seat. One for the bow and one smaller one off the stern to keep the boat from moving round.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:40 PM
Ing
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Box anchor all the way.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my box anchor. aka "Da Bear Trap"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.