Engine Rebuild Questions -- Need Advice

Old 06-08-2016, 04:07 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
He never stated what kind of boat.

Why people do that, I don't know.
Oh yes he did. I just went dumb again. 241 Liberator.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The question I have for you:

Are you a natural tinkerer and gear head, who does not mind playing around with the carb tuning, timing, etc., to try to squeeze out that last MPH, and you aren't scared of the idea of something breaking and making you spend more time and money on it? Is your wife / family extremely understanding of you spending time and money on the boat, and possibly having it down in the middle of the season?

Or are you a guy who likes to open it up every now and then just for the sound and the rush, but you are just as happy cruising along or sitting in a cove listening to tunes and relaxing? Are you the type that will worry about every little sound that you might hear from the engine (is that a lifter clacking, or just the exhaust flappers?), and the thought of dropping an exhaust valve from reversion and the corner you cut not putting in inconel valves keeps you up at night?

If you identify with the first line of thinking, then have at it and build the big dog. If scenario two describes you better, then stick a stock(ish) motor in there, drop the hatch, pack the cooler and go boating!

OSO has a majority of guys who fit scenario #1, and that is great, because it's what keeps this site (and this hobby) going. Most of these guys (SB, Mike, Mild Thunder and others) are very generous with their time and advice. But they are a different breed than some of us. I have a real good buddy who is like that - he is always working on something - I seriously wonder if the dude ever sleeps. I wish I was more like that, but I somehow always let all the other stuff bog me down. I guess you have to make the decision about what appeals to you, and it is definitely possible to build a reliable mill that will get you that 100 extra HP (or more). But getting to that point takes a lot of knowhow, patience, and money.

Good luck with your build!
Old 06-10-2016, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, if you had a 454 mag in there that has the forged crank, pistons, and better rods, you could just have him go back with that and add a supercharger down the road as funds become available to get you where you want to be.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I'd look at it this way:

The extra money wouldn't make a big difference. If you want to go faster, put that $1200 in your bank account and put it towards a new boat when you're ready. That $1200 would go farther with a new boat purchase than an engine build.