Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2016/0...sletter-061316
Old 06-13-2016, 01:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmmii
Another thing hurting the performance segment is the "affordable boats" are all too old to finance now. You are stuck buying new from the handful of manufactures left or paying cash for what you find.
This has always been a niche hobby/obsession for most of us. I'm capable of doing a lot of the routine maintenance/repairs on my own, but with the overall cost to maintain/operate the boats with good power these days, I'm not sure I'm in that niche anymore.lol
Old 06-13-2016, 01:43 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Another way to look at it - We are the problem within itself. How many up here and even in this thread has bought a new boat within the last 10 years ??? And then next how many have NEVER even bought a NEW boat ever ???

Just asking

And if you did buy a new boat within the past 10 years was it a sportboat ???

The sportboat market has no supporting cast for buyers within the past 10 years and even within its own community to support new boat sales. That is the biggest problem.

Wakeboats 120 K for a 23 to 24 size boat, one purpose only - killing it all over the country in new boats year after year, They have huge amounts that support new boat sales, some every year and some every 5 years and most every 6 to 10 years step up and buy something new. Many buyers and many new buyers for that end of boating.

Malibu boats in 1 year only has more new sales than all I/O sportboats combined total from 2008 to currently. A 9 year run for all sportboats with I/O's compared to one wakeboard brand (Malibu) for 1 year only.

Think about those numbers.

Last edited by BUP; 06-13-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Registered

Much different times...... dealers used to happily forge your paperwork and make it look like you were putting substantial money down..... then give you another set of papers showing the DMV you paid a lot less... to save on sales tax.... oh the good 'ole days of loose money. Inflated book values... 125% equity lines of credit...

Banks don't play that game anymore...
Old 06-13-2016, 02:19 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

So, the OP is saying that Fountain Skanks are going to be on the endangered species list soon ?

Fawk Me !
Old 06-13-2016, 02:20 PM
Registered

There was always the 'haves and 'have-nots.... the gap is just much wider now...

I compare the wakeboard crowd to the skateboard crazies who have to jump steps/railings etc, etc.... and then X-games and even snowboard/ trick ski Olympics now...
Those kids have rich parents with disposable income and give those kids whatever they want...

We all knew the insurance man in town with a few kids of his own.... he would have a huge house, huge garage and a fleet of corvettes... kids had all the best stuff... motorcycles/ATV's,,, lake house with the biggest boat on the lake... now it's a Malibu or what-not for wakeboards...
Old 06-13-2016, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunrunner72
This has always been a niche hobby/obsession for most of us. I'm capable of doing a lot of the routine maintenance/repairs on my own, but with the overall cost to maintain/operate the boats with good power these days, I'm not sure I'm in that niche anymore.lol
And that's not even factoring in the hacks that have taken significant cash up front for a rebuild that never got completed or was shotty work that ended up needing it all redone.

Originally Posted by BUP
Another way to look at it - We are the problem within itself. How many up here and even in this thread has bought a new boat within the last 10 years ??? And then next how many have NEVER even bought a NEW boat ever ???

Just asking

The sportboat market has no supporting cast for buyers within the past 10 years and even within its own community to support new boat sales. That is the biggest problem.

Wakeboats 120 K for a 23 to 24 size boat, one purpose only - killing it all over the country in new boats year after year, They have huge amounts that support new boat sales, some every year and some every 5 years and most every 6 to 10 years step up and buy something new. Many buyers and many new buyers for that end of boating.

Malibu boats in 1 year only has more new sales than all I/O sportboats combined total from 2008 to currently. A 9 year run for all sportboats with I/O's compared to one wakeboard brand (Malibu) for 1 year only.

That puts it into perspective!!!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP

Just asking

I don't think wake boats are one use only. When we used to buy straight inboard ski nautiuges yes. But now they can hold a bunch of people, their toys, built in coolers, sound systems etc. you can ski, wake board, surf ( that's pretty cool really) or hang out at the tie up.

And Bup I know you have drove them, not fast but they will accelerate and turn very hard. The stuff we used to do can not be said they weren't performance other then top speed.

Granted they ride rough but for lake boats what the heck. They do spend a ton of time in making the wakes right.

Can't back up for chit but you get used to it.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

Does anyone think if someone started making some of the old school style jet boats in the 18-24 foot range again they could do it at a good price point and have the performance to match?

LSA motors in a small light package could be a lot of fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.