Our declining hobby...sad days >

Our declining hobby...sad days

Notices

Our declining hobby...sad days

Old 06-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
My wife and I bought our first performance boat in 1998 - an 18 foot Baja (at least we thought it was a performance boat ). On Friday and Saturday nights we would sit out by the dam on Lake Cumberland and watch 20+ go-fasts pair up and race. It was an awesome show every weekend and fueled my desire to own a bigger and faster go-fast. Back at our Marina it seemed like there were performance boats everywhere. The stock market was roaring, gas was cheap and it seemed like every boat house at our 1200 slip marina had at least one performance boat. In our boathouse alone we had a 38 Fever with big power, a triple 42, and a 42 with huge staggered Cobras.

The first blow was the Tech Bubble crash of 2000. Around the same time gas prices started to climb. Come 2001 the impromptu boat races out at the dam had disappeared. By 2005 I was the only performance boater left in my boathouse. One by one the other performance boats across my marina mostly disappeared. We still had the Poker run on Cumberland and LCM to keep up my interest in performance boats but my neighbors and friends at my marina just couldn't justify owning a performance boat anymore. Some got out of boating altogether, others moved on to houseboats, cruisers and pontoons.

Obviously the final blow was the credit bubble bursting in 2008. Fountain used to build 550 boats a year and I'll wager that the factory hasn't built 50 combined go-fasts since 2010.

I see our hobby now a lot like the muscle cars of the 60's and early 70's. There was a golden era when these awesome machines were mass-produced and the common-man could obtain them, but due to many factors that era is now gone. Unless a lot of things change in Washington the standard of living for the average American will continue to decline. The rich will still be able to afford to buy their toys, as the rich always do, but high-performance boating for the common-man is probably a thing of the past; with it went the mass-production of high-performance boats. However, because manufactures are producing so few new ones, and because they are such awesome toys, the used HP boat market seems to have stabilized. In some cases used performance boats are actually increasing in value, Nothing like muscle cars but bottom seems to be in for good quality used boats.

In the 1980's it suddenly became cool to own an old muscle car. Problem was they weren't building any more 1970 Hemi Cudas. Suddenly the old ones became collectible, as did all old muscle cars. Although it is true that the golden era of our sport is probably gone forever, there are still plenty of people interested in this hobby. Practicality be dammed, driving around in a Tri-toon Bennington isn't as thrilling as skimming across the waves at 100 mph with the roar of a big block in your ears. They have built about as many 38 Donzi ZR Comps since the financial crisis as they have 1970 Hemi Cudas. Although impractical, both are cool ass toys that can offer great thrills and enjoyment for their owners. So our sport has now become a hobby. I still intend to enjoy mine. I hope you continue to enjoy yours.

While I agree with you 100% about the decline of performance boats at Cumberland over the past few years, I was pleasantly surprised to see more than the usual number of go fasts out this past Saturday. I don't know if it was the weather or maybe people here early for the Thunder Run? Either way, it made me smile.

Last edited by TBAG; 06-13-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 745 Likes on 337 Posts

So why are boatwells so hard to find ? Up here in Traverse City area there are six marinas fro Leland north to Elk Rapids and all of them have waiting lists that approach 10 years. Someone buying boats.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depressing post to see as a college kid who loves everything about this sport. But it is the world we live in. My old mans baja is sitting in the same place in the driveway as it was 4 years ago. Sometimes I'll go out and tinker with her and clean her up and just sit there and reminisce on our Cumberland trips our every weekend haul to the local lake and so on. I'm so lucky to have a dad who showed me and involved me with every aspect of owning a go fast. I'll always own a performance boat when I'm graduated and have the means to buy one. I don't care if it bankrupts me. Don't you fine gentleman think that you haven't left a mark for the better on our generation. We are here.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 944 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Another way to look at it - We are the problem within itself. How many up here and even in this thread has bought a new boat within the last 10 years ??? And then next how many have NEVER even bought a NEW boat ever ???

Just asking

And if you did buy a new boat within the past 10 years was it a sportboat ???

The sportboat market has no supporting cast for buyers within the past 10 years and even within its own community to support new boat sales. That is the biggest problem.
Remember I posted the hypothetical thread if you had 500K to spend but you get to keep the change after selling in 3 years........Not a single person bought a new boat!

I live/work in a very high end area. 2005, I knew several that got brand new boats (myself included). In the last 5 years I have seen a few new used boats show up. The 3 new boats I have seen have been in the last 6 months were a 38 Jupiter CC, a Bayliner Element (deck boat) and a 22 CC (base no name brand). Saw two clients dump big Viking sportfishes, one went to a used 34 CC and the other restored a small Gamefisherman (34 and it came out ridiculously gorgeous).
Old 06-13-2016, 07:13 PM
Registered

Thinking the same - They are not scared, in fact you may have to talk them out of Bernie Sanders.... because they don't get the ramifications.

I am in the process of buying a 353 fastech - 502's nothing crazy. My friends have: 46 black thunder 700SC's, 40 SS formula, and a 26 eliminator with 300 merc outboards, another acquaintance just got a 32 Skater. So this is all going on, I had not considered the broader trend really, I just know what makes me happy. My kids have experienced all these boats yet they want a pool instead - not feeling great about that, but I'm going for it anyway. I have been able to sell boats in my market in a week or 2, that is what I fear is going to change drastically. Last one was a 280ss formula sold in 3 days, 232 Baja before that sold in a week.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Registered

On an up note LOTO is boater paradise and if you have not been, they take this boating $h%^ seriously to another level!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeMIo0Iff6A
Old 06-13-2016, 07:37 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

can someone do me a favor - post the video at 2015 LOTO shootout long line of boats at a complete stand still waiting to get at the ramps that went on for many miles. There was an extended version of this video, if all possible can you please post that or whatever. I need to send that over to a friend of mine. Thanks

Last edited by BUP; 06-13-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
I say that because Lake Erie can go from 1' waves to 5' waves in an hour or less.

Ran a toon at the shoot out in LOTO when everyone was leaving. It was fine, just slow and steady.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Whenever I throttle up the Donzi I have at least four of the youngsters (age 25 - 30 ) that live next door over on my dock. They want to go to heaven at 80 MPH on this old missile. They turn their hats backwards and really get into the grove. Do not think that the age of go fast boats is over. They love it. They all want the same thing that turned us on!
Old 06-14-2016, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Us young folk are here! (26) Getting into the game is mega $$$ if you want a new boat right now, hard to buy a house and a boat of equal value at the same time... I am always shopping boats and hitting boat shows and I've yet to see a new sport boat that is even in reach in the next five years for me. Used they are out there but in ten years all of the current stock will be 20 years old and there won't be much In the used market 2010 to ???

Wake boats and pontoons are lined up in showrooms everywhere... Sport boats you have to seek out, and when you find them they are tricked out and high $$. not the best to try and hustle sales.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.