Notices

Boat taking on water

Old 07-09-2016, 09:50 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

sounds like a project boat and should of, would of and could of but did not.

bet the rotted transom is pouring water in like a sieve causing even more problems and money on top of.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 858 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Yup, and the other 20 or so threads he's started recently.
did Darr buy a boat.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol you guys are brutal.

Brutally honest
Old 07-10-2016, 12:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes this boat was purchased knowing it had a bad transom and likely stringers, this was also reflected in the cost. I did not neglect advise on a survey, I pretty much assumed the worst news a survey could deliver (and a survey is only as good as your surveyor and those seem hard to find).

Anyways, outside of water the transom was/is strong. In water there is a leak at the bottom of the outdrive (probably one of the softest spots on the transom) and it becomes a very slow leak with the drive down (the drives had to come up after being docked which is when the leak started and we were already packing up so it went unnoticed). Solution, put the drive down.

The other related issue here, the automatic sump pump failed. I had a replacement sump & float pre-purchased to install as soon as I got the boat, but I didn't get to it fast enough...these were installed tonight and the bilge has remained dry.

Plan had always been to throw this boat in the water and see where it stands.. Ideally it can be used gingerly this year and then sent off to have the back cut off and replaced off season. I want to use this at least until my other boat gets out of the shop.

So, first day out on a "new" boat is always an adventure. Although there were some moments of panic, I found the challenge entertaining (as I do your comments LOL!).
Old 07-10-2016, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it leaking through the transom or is it a bad lower shift cable boot or bellows boot? Both of those will leak worse with the drive up.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 921 Likes on 375 Posts

Like I said before in your other thread.

If the transom is that soft that the transom plate is pushing through the transom at the bottom and causing leaking ,you will smoke the couplers with in hours.

Did you trim the drives down and bounce on them like I had mentioned?

Hope you got that boat for a song if it is that soft already .
Old 07-10-2016, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 436 Likes on 289 Posts

Either way, you knew all that when purchasing the boat, meaning you could have surprises! So as you said, use it and see where it stands, but make sure you dont rip off the drive with a part of transom because it is soft, and make sure it does not go down for a bigger of a leak you think there is, and enjoy the boat for what it is right now, and do the big job this winter!

Its all good!!!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:12 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 880 Likes on 329 Posts

So you get a cheap boat that's rotten, not just a rotten hatch or something but the guts/foundation/core of the boat, and you still purchase it and people tell you the fix is not going to be simple and will result in an expensive boat which defeated your whole purpose of getting it in the first place and now it's taking on water...good grief.

I'm sorry I'm negative on your threads, most of us have been in this sport much of our lives, we sort of know the problems good boats have let alone project boats or boats with major issues. It's like purchasing a house that termites have sawn in half and you're going move the grand piano in and see how it does until it starts to fall through the floor and you ask if a 2x4 or 2x10 is the proper support for it and after the structural work is done the kitchen appliances start to break and you get 'em fixed and then the 2nd floor bathroom leaks into the kitchen then that water flows over to the floor under the grand piano and rots it out and it starts to fall through the floor again taking the new kitchen and bathroom with it. That's pretty much life with a project boat IMO.

Good luck, maybe it's just a broken bellows, which is not fun to replace but that transom...
Old 07-10-2016, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man.....id be deleting all this evedince from this and previous threads. If and WHEN your boat sinks and your insurance man is googling 32 active thunder to find comps. there's a decent chance he may stumble across your threads of stupidity, neglect, and even history of the boat not being all that structurally sound from the day the policy was opened.

This is all assuming you've got insurance? I know most companies require a current survey for boats of this vintage to cover their asses on situations just like this.
To protect people from themselves.

Sorry to say it dude but you're one of those people that reads " CAUTION CONTENTS OF CUP IS EXTREMELY HOT " but still wonder why when you spill coffee on your dick it gets burned.

Good luck man !!!!!

Last edited by scarab63; 07-10-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Relax people, he already said he was going to repair it.... I'm sure he's just waiting for that Nigerian prince to receive his postal money order and process the lottery claim. These things take time! Gee whiz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.