Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Deadrise v rough water and slow speed (sub 30') >

Deadrise v rough water and slow speed (sub 30')

Notices

Deadrise v rough water and slow speed (sub 30')

Old 07-11-2016, 10:33 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

From another thread in the Active Thunder section::
Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Ironically I just took some pictures and sent them to him this morning. I have been quiet about this since the project is taking time to complete. I didn't want to put anything out there until we were about 30 days away of the debut.

Since the tooling for the basic boat was complete we had to go back and design and build the dash pods from scratch as well as storage boxes for the front seating and the enclosed head. Also, even though we had made molds for the back seats of the 33, the cockpit seat molds required modifications for the 29 due to the fiberglass cockpit liner's size.

Here's a couple of teasers for you.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-11-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyain
Honestly I'm not sure if you're looking at brand new or the used market but checkmate convincors are the 24 deadrise you seek... Mine has a useable cuddy but you're not by any means standing up in it and walking around freely in the cockpit....
Sorry, didn't make that clear. I could be tempted to go new but it would need to be stunning, and priced very well. Otherwise, I'm probably looking at ued, but definitely 2008 upwards.

RR
Old 07-11-2016, 10:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Love all that, who wouldn't?

Complicated at my end with a possible sale on my current rig and also my weak Aussie dollar doesn't help. I think we're pushing the budget but maybe if i can get all my ducks to line up at the same time.....?

My short list is still open.

RR
Old 07-11-2016, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 647 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Sorry I don't see that being marketable. Looks like an idea from 1974. Just the Ergonomics of the forward passenger area are light years behind what you see on the most basic of Bowriders these days.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Sorry I don't see that being marketable. Looks like an idea from 1974. Just the Ergonomics of the forward passenger area are light years behind what you see on the most basic of Bowriders these days.
That's because go fast boats like AT's get very narrow up front whereas the plethora of bowriders out there retain the beam much further forward and subsequently have so much more space to work with. The AT is more of an mcob than a full blown bowrider IMO.

Going back to my original post, can a boat with low deadrise still work well in the rough of it has a fine entry?

RR
Old 07-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks RR, if that boats not too far out of your travels if you could have a casual look would be appreciated. I notice someone mentioned a cobalt 262, having owned both a 2008 sea Ray 270 slx and a 2012 cobalt 262, can confidently say the cobalt was a much better built boat, however the ride still wasn't the best, but certainly better than the searay, friends of ours owned a 302 cobalt with twin 496 and that was a much nicer ride, sometimes you can't beat the share displacement of a bigger boat. For reference all these boats were on the Gold Coast in Aus and used in Morton Bay, which as I'm sure you know can get fairly choppy.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Going back to my original post, can a boat with low deadrise still work well in the rough of it has a fine entry?

RR
Only if you are off plane and that fine entry is the first point of contact with the chop/wave. Otherwise it is just hanging out in the breeze doing nothing but waiting for the next big one.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me qualify that. A vented (stepped) hull will run flatter than a traditional straight or variable vee hull. A fine entry on a vented hull will be in a better position to pierce the wave first and will therefore have more of an effect on ride quality when on plane. So I modify my opinion from No to Perhaps, depending on the boat you choose. Still, not much beats deadrise for splitting waves and improving ride. The simplest solution is to find a high deadrise boat if you can stand the higher planning speed. Our Baja will plane down to about 21-22 mph with the tabs fully deployed. About 26-27 is as slow as it will go with no tabs. The shallower the deadrise the slower it will go and the flatter it will run on plane. It is a tradeoff for sure.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Waterboy123
Thanks RR, if that boats not too far out of your travels if you could have a casual look would be appreciated. I notice someone mentioned a cobalt 262, having owned both a 2008 sea Ray 270 slx and a 2012 cobalt 262, can confidently say the cobalt was a much better built boat, however the ride still wasn't the best, but certainly better than the searay, friends of ours owned a 302 cobalt with twin 496 and that was a much nicer ride, sometimes you can't beat the share displacement of a bigger boat. For reference all these boats were on the Gold Coast in Aus and used in Morton Bay, which as I'm sure you know can get fairly choppy.
My 2007 Sea Ray 270 SLX was disappointing to say the least. Water here is generally a confused chop of 3' and many days, it's considerably worse. The 270 was nice on the odd calm day but 3' waves were very uncomfortable and wet! Anything rougher was terrible, and I'm only wanting to go at slow planing speeds.

As an ex Melbourne boy on Port Phillip Bay, if a boat can't handle a few waves then it's not much of a boat!

Interesting your thoughts on the Cobalt, they're something I've considered. I'm just restricting myself on size and a single engine due to ease of towing and maintenance.

Sent PM about the Fountain in Phuket.

RR
Old 07-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BajaDan
Only if you are off plane and that fine entry is the first point of contact with the chop/wave. Otherwise it is just hanging out in the breeze doing nothing but waiting for the next big one.
Generally agree with that. I'm wanting to maintain a planing speed in 3-4' waves without getting very wet, belted around too much or screamed at by the gf. Slow plane around 20 something mph is fine.
Maybe I'm asking too much out of a boat around 25-28'?

Baja 26' Outlaw still hits me as the best in terms of ride, I'm just struggling to understand how a boat like a Crownline or a Cobalt has so much useable space in the cockpit and go fast boats of the same size have so little. Where did it all go?

Thanks for the input,
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.