Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
State Dock house boats at Lake Cumberland, are they worth it? >

State Dock house boats at Lake Cumberland, are they worth it?

Notices

State Dock house boats at Lake Cumberland, are they worth it?

Old 08-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default State Dock house boats at Lake Cumberland, are they worth it?

Been kicking around the idea with a few other families of renting one of these beasts for a weeks vacation. We will be taking other boats for lake recreation but thought the idea of staying on a houseboat would be cool. Any advice or any do's and do not's?
Old 08-09-2016, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I've rented from State Dock 4 times and yes if you rent their bigger newer boats they are worth it IMO, they're smaller rentals are entry level like other marinas on the lake. I will say you will be impressed with the 450, 500, 800, 900 and 1000 series boats. Next nicest on the lake is Conley Bottom rentals. I've rented from 4 different marinas over the years and State and Conley are the best IMO.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 155 Posts

Nick (from Statement) and his family do that every year and always have some great pictures and stories of their trip. They always tell us we should do it as well and have never once heard or seen a bad time when they are out there.

They also bring up a few boats to hit the lake on and rent the large house boat.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nicest rentals on the lake, can't go wrong.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:39 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 402 Likes on 128 Posts

If your bringing the family, don't do it on the poker run weekend. The kids may learn all kinds of new things
Old 08-09-2016, 03:06 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

i've rented from State Dock many time and always been very happy with them. For many years they were the only ones with hottubs (very important part of houseboating ) Quality and service and even accommodating an odd request or two have never been a problem. We have always good after labor day though, weather is still good water is nice and the cooler nights make the aforementioned hottub all the better plus the rates go down a bit. We have always rented the biggest boats they had and brought some pretty good crews and usually tow along some smaller boats/jet skis and leave the big hardware at home. Two big a hassle to run those things and try to manage a fleet of go-fasts. The weekend for us is a wind down laid back kinda deal. Our schedule has always been party at state dock thursday night while the crew rolls in from different points then shove off in the morning to 76 falls for friday/friday night (you might not be able to overnight there anymore) then we head out sat morning and find secluded cove in Beaver Creek or something and hang there for saturday night. Sunday morn is get boat back in order and head to State. They have really improved the place over the years and i wouldnt think of renting anywhere else.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Thiis! Lol
Originally Posted by warparty36
if your bringing the family, don't do it on the poker run weekend. The kids may learn all kinds of new things
Old 08-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds like fun Dave. Let me know when to arrive! :-)

Originally Posted by glassdave
i've rented from State Dock many time and always been very happy with them. For many years they were the only ones with hottubs (very important part of houseboating ) Quality and service and even accommodating an odd request or two have never been a problem. We have always good after labor day though, weather is still good water is nice and the cooler nights make the aforementioned hottub all the better plus the rates go down a bit. We have always rented the biggest boats they had and brought some pretty good crews and usually tow along some smaller boats/jet skis and leave the big hardware at home. Two big a hassle to run those things and try to manage a fleet of go-fasts. The weekend for us is a wind down laid back kinda deal. Our schedule has always been party at state dock thursday night while the crew rolls in from different points then shove off in the morning to 76 falls for friday/friday night (you might not be able to overnight there anymore) then we head out sat morning and find secluded cove in Beaver Creek or something and hang there for saturday night. Sunday morn is get boat back in order and head to State. They have really improved the place over the years and i wouldnt think of renting anywhere else.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Dave is correct about the SD. They actually hire enough employees to properly maintain their equipment, which is why you may pay up for a SD boat vs other rentals on the lake; however, typically, SD boats function properly where-as you will read horror story after horror story about other marinas that don't properly maintain their boats.

As for the worth of such a vacation, many people love Cumberland house boat vacations. You are right there on beautiful and swim-able water. You just need to have enough couples to help spread the cost.

As for do's and dont's - do bring enough adult beverages. Although they finally do some beer on the lake, it's crazy expensive.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely a great idea! I rented one with 10 others for the Lake Cumberland raftup last year, we took my checkmate along with a friends ski boat and had a blast. State dock was easy to work with and there boat was awesome, we had a issue with the generator after two nights and they sent people right out to fix our issue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.