Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
We need an Outboard section in Technical >

We need an Outboard section in Technical

Notices

We need an Outboard section in Technical

Old 08-11-2016, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Activator/ Rage recently built a 30' V Hull with 2 300xs on it. Ran over 87mph and that is one of the best offshore v hulls ever made in that size range.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

Indy,

I get those points but what I meant is there are all these OB cats but very few OB V's. Other then the last two posted. Then again maybe there will be more.

BTW they are very valid points that at my age I doubt I will see change in my life.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Superboat, Baja, Checkmate, Banana, Velocity, Excalibur, Scarab, Pantera, and Sutphen. All manufacturers with their own section. And all manufacturers who've made outboard performance vees since the 80's. That's more than 3 decades of egg beater boats if you're keeping track. Oh, and Progression. But Progression owners don't get their own section. But we don't really need it, as all our boats run and handle perfectly and never break anything.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 08-11-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:27 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 876 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Indy,

I get those points but what I meant is there are all these OB cats but very few OB V's. Other then the last two posted. Then again maybe there will be more.

BTW they are very valid points that at my age I doubt I will see change in my life.
Ahh...but I guess there are much fewer offshore boats being made anymore for those reasons, let alone choosing to make them I/Os or outboards. It's shocking the amount of builders that have gone away or drastically scaled back.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:27 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 876 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
Superboat, Baja, Checkmate, Banana, Velocity, Excalibur, Scarab, Pantera, and Sutphen. All manufacturers with their own section. And all manufacturers who've made outboard performance vees since the 80's. That's more than 3 decades of egg beater boats if you're keeping track. Oh, and Progression. But Progression owners don't get their own section. But we don't really need it, as all our boats run and handle perfectly and never break anything.
And PowerPlay. And agree with Progression, stout boats without question.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by double rigged
i would bet most outboard guys will hold their motors wide open a lot longer than you i/o guys.
Some of you may have some mph but we go the distance!

Anyone that has verados check out (the verado club) website. It was built by someone i know many years ago. Pretty good site.
A typical jaunt for me is 80+ mph @ 6000+ rpm for 14+ miles in the roughest water we can find.Let motors cool while enjoying scenery with a frosty beverage and do it again.. and again.....and again! To Hell with winterization. Run your boat!

Last edited by bulletbob; 08-12-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
And PowerPlay.
There's a 33 PP with Verados in the classifieds.... You could have all of the ride you remember, most of the speed, and virtually none of the maintenance. I'm holding out for the blue '91 with the 300XS's.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Why isn't more OB Performance V hulls being made? Other then AT it doesn't seem like anybody is doing a offshore performance V hull.

Lots of new 28-32 cats. I know they are light in comparison but you would still think you'd see a few more out there. I know everyone likes the CC because you can carry 12 of your closest friends but in the cats you can't sooooooo why not a nice OB V for those that can't pay cat insurance rates.
My first boat was just that. A Velocity with twin 260s obs that would run 85+ everyday. WAY to much boat for a first performance boat for myself.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by indy
i'll take a crack at this:
- middle class has taken a beating. No longer buying fun stuff, just trying to survive and save something for retirement.

- younger generation has technology and social media that dominates their life, carrying student debt too that prohibits expensive toys.

- the high gas prices a few years ago killed the gas guzzling bb sport. As a side note, those financial types that profited off of us by gouging us with high gas prices can go to hell, i hope they're getting theirs right now.

- tons of people lost their savings thanks to our spiffy government and lovely wall street pukes. As a side note they can all go to hell too.

- corporations have cut all the costs they can, there's only so much they can cut, now they're well into their employee reductions which is doubling the work of those still left, i don't know many who don't work weekends these days.

- globalization...nobody's fault, not even out puke politician's fault, just the advancement in technology has made it easy to do business overseas, companies are taking advantage of it and i can't blame them because...

- ...we demand the best products at the cheapest prices, i shop around just like everybody else.

- aging population. Many of us (yes, i'm in this category) are tired or reluctant to crawl into a bilge and contort ourselves to work on the engines. The idea of an outboard and it's accessibility is attractive to me.

- aging boat supply base. Many of these boats are in need of major refits...many hours on the engines needing rebuilds (not cheap), hull repairs, dated paint schemes, cracking interiors and technological upgrades. When you add this stuff up it get's overwhelming for the average joe.

- aging wifes...yeah, admit it, your partner isn't so big on having the sh!t beat out of her as much anymore, maybe a more comfy vessel keeps you on the water instead of at costco purchasing bulk toilet paper and giant jugs of mr. Clean.

- new boats are expensive as sh!t. I purchased my new nordic 28 in 2002 for $62k. It's much more than that now and no way i'm paying close to $100 for a boat like that. Hell, i saw a used sensation 28 cc for $130k the other day on this forum...i'd spend $130 on a used 28' cc the same day i have my teeth ground down for fun...without novocain. If that's what it takes to get back on the water i'm moving to the middle of the saraha and investing in a palm tree, well drilling machine, and female camels.
amen!!
Old 08-12-2016, 07:04 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

How about an OB maintenance only forum because outboards don't need repairs right ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.