We need an Outboard section in Technical >

We need an Outboard section in Technical

Notices

We need an Outboard section in Technical

Old 08-12-2016, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
How about an OB maintenance only forum because outboards don't need repairs right ?
Zero incidence of Bravo upper gearset failures on outboards! Lol
Old 08-12-2016, 08:11 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 876 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
Zero incidence of Bravo upper gearset failures on outboards! Lol
Yeah...no bellows either!
Old 08-12-2016, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Gearsets from mother Merc went up 33.3% in 5 years. I just paid 5k in parts to freshen my Sportmasters. Aint nothing cheap about performance boating whether i/o or ob. I did get 26 years and 1000s of hours out of my Weldon fuel pumps! It is $370.00 to rebuild each pump. Thanks Kinsler fuel injection in MI !!
Old 08-12-2016, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
Yeah...no bellows either!
I can't tell ya the last time I had to adjust the lower shift cable on my outboard. Or pressure test my outboard's headers to make sure they weren't leaking. Or start a thread about my outboard's oil pan temps. Or replace the drive lube resevoir monitor on my outboard because of the dreaded "2 beeps".

Come to think of it, we should probably be gracious and leave the server space for those unfortunate I/O guys.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

I didn't realize this was going to strike a nerve with so many peeps. Good God, just ignore the section if you are not interested.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
I didn't realize this was going to strike a nerve with so many peeps. Good God, just ignore the section if you are not interested.
If and when they give us an outboard technical section, you should expect me to start various threads about the best 2 stroke oil, spark plugs, etc.

Since I went outboard I have a bunch of extra free time to mess around here. Weird.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 876 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracer29
since i went outboard i have a bunch of extra free time to mess around here. Weird.
rof!
Old 08-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
If and when they give us an outboard technical section, you should expect me to start various threads about the best 2 stroke oil, spark plugs, etc.

Since I went outboard I have a bunch of extra free time to mess around here. Weird.

I have an answer for you question on oil. For Optis, Pennzoil XLF! 1/2 the cost of Mercury's oil and less build up on the prop hub. Win Win. (But I will admit, it doesn't smell as good)

Back to the topic, I am another vote for an OB section. Love my Optis and will probably never go back to an I/O unless I have a boat with Outboards too. That way when the I/O breaks, I can jump in the Egg Beater and enjoy my day ;-)
Old 08-12-2016, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

[QUOTE=low_psi;4470287]I have an answer for you question on oil. For Optis, Pennzoil XLF! 1/2 the cost of Mercury's oil and less build up on the prop hub. Win Win. (But I will admit, it doesn't smell as good)

Back to the topic, I am another vote for an OB section. Love my Optis and will probably never go back to an I/O unless I have a boat with Outboards too. That way when the I/O breaks, I can jump in the Egg Beater and enjoy my day ;

I have been running Pennzoil 2 stroke oil for a decade with no issues and sierra drive lube. I run NGK plugs and wires.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
I have an answer for you question on oil. For Optis, Pennzoil XLF! 1/2 the cost of Mercury's oil and less build up on the prop hub. Win Win. (But I will admit, it doesn't smell as good)
Pennzoil XLF, eh? Never heard of it....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.