Who made these windshields? >

Who made these windshields?

Notices

Who made these windshields?

Old 08-28-2016, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Who made these windshields?

80's era black coated aluminum, kind of hinged in the middle and at the outside corners for fitment.
My Power Play XLT had one, my Progression has one, and it looks the same as the Scarab S-type windshields.
Trying to track down some vinyl glazing and the profiles at Taylormade and American Marine aren't matching up exactly.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 282 Likes on 117 Posts

Have you checked with stellar plastics on gratiot in the getto(7mile area)? They have done some nice work for me in the past few years.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drake22.250
Have you checked with stellar plastics on gratiot in the getto(7mile area)? They have done some nice work for me in the past few years.
I'll take a piece over next time I'm in the area, but I dropped in there a few years back to get a quote on replacing the polycarbonate for my XLT, had measurements, etc., he never called me back. Ended up getting it from Alro. But in his defense, I had earrings, a nasty beard, and a Slayer t-shirt, so he might have figured I was a junkie casing the place or something.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:25 PM
Registered

Called Stellar today, he said they don't carry glazing vinyl. He suggested Taylor Made, calling them tomorrow. Called American Marine and requested 3 samples that are in the ballpark, but not the same. Hopefully one works. The search will continue.

Here's what I'm looking for (crap pic but shows the profile). Long side is just shy of 3/4", short side is just shy of 1/2".

4th from left, top row is the closest I've found, but no dimensions and I don't know what company this is from-

Last edited by Speedracer29; 08-29-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Registered

Ok, updating this to help anyone having this issue in the future. The vinyl strip/gasket is referred to as window glazing. If you own a Scarab S-Type, Scarab Panther, PowerPlay XLT/Conquest, or older Progression with framed windshield, this may help you in the future if you decide to upgrade/recoat/reglaze your windshield.

I called American Marine/Pompanette and requested samples. Pics are below. TP-139 matched the current glazing profile the best and fit the tightest. TP-240 fits, but is a different profile, but it is likely what I'll use when I recoat and reglaze due to the fact I can easily install it myself. TP-686 fits after removing 1/8" from the rear rib, is a different profile, and will be more forgiving if the glass isn't dimensionally perfect in the frame. All three are available in black or white. The other samples shown wouldn't fit in the window track.

Griff, Sydwayz, Cash Bar- this thread can now be moved to the Resoration/Upgrades area, but please edit the title to include the word "glazing".

Last edited by Speedracer29; 09-02-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:44 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

very detailed post on your part and informative. Thanks
Old 09-02-2016, 09:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
very detailed post on your part and informative. Thanks
OCD, what can I say?!

Now my next quandary is gloss black powder and polycarbonate, or all white to make it race fairing-ish.