Tandem or triple axle trailer???? >

Tandem or triple axle trailer????

Notices

Tandem or triple axle trailer????

Old 10-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tandem or triple axle trailer????

Given the choice that both are within the rating, a heavy duty tandem, or a standard triple, which would be the prefered?
Considering the turning radius issues, trailering, and ride. Taking in account that this may be an every weekend use trailer.
Obviously, the extra wheel for flats is a plus on the triple, but.......

Curious what those that have owned both have to say about this.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2002, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say triple . More stability going down the road .YOU don't get the sway if it's set up right and not affected by cross winds so much . CHeck the local laws on brakes . MOst states require brakes on every axle ! 3 axles also takes pot holes better ! AND , it makes the frame more rigid as it suports more of the weight . If you get to much hanging frame it likes to bounce . Just my .02.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What length boat? Weight? Etc., all are necessary to make a good decision.
Robert
Old 10-01-2002, 05:18 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry.
this would be a 32' Fountain. not sure what the weight is.
I have seen these boats with both trailers.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 257 Likes on 103 Posts

get a triple for the reasons above , but get the axles that normally go on a double, i have 215/75/14 tires and i blow them out at a rate of 2+ a year. there just not capable of supporting 7000 lbs. i tow ever weekend, about 2000 miles a year.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:44 PM
Registered

My suggestion would be a MYCO triple with electric over hydraulic brakes, 16" wheels, disc brakes, swing away drive guard, LED lights, 2 spares mounted on the front, and a long tool box on each side of the trailer behind the spare tires. I hope this helps, it is my opinion though and I like to err on the side of over kill 'cause I trailer 12 to 15 thousand miles a year with a 41 on a MYCO.
Robert
Old 10-01-2002, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Trailers

US-1 Fountain, I own a 33 Powerplay I/O, probably 8500lbs+ with 1/2 fuel, I tow it with a tandem axle trailer with brakes rated at 10,400 from South Florida Trailer. It tows like a dream. I've been towing for over 20 years, I was concerned about the weight with this boat. I am probably 10,000+ including boat and trailer, I've had absolutely no problems. Towed it to the keys a month back, 65-70 the entire way. Tandem axles are easier park, and you have put less wear and tear on your tires and bearings while maneuvering. They are also cheaper to maintain considering that you have two less tires, one less axle, etc. to replace when they wear out. True, if you had an unlimited budget, ok, maybe just big bucks, you probably couldn't find better than the Myco detailed above.

You asked for opinions, I am very pleased with my tandem axle, aluminum trailer at a reasonable price.

Mike
Old 10-01-2002, 08:03 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see a lot of 35 Fountains on tandem axle trailers?

Never have understood that.

I have my 36 Outlaw on a triple axle Myco, disc surge brakes all axles, spare, 16 inch wheels with Goodyear tires and LED lights.

Just make sure that what ever you get is sized right and has the correct axles for your weight.

Second Myco and LOVE THEM
Old 10-01-2002, 08:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Well, someone mentioned having a triple helps if you have a flat. Well, this happened to a friend. Triples make no difference. You still can't run without a tire/rim on it, or the brake drum will drag. SO, if that's the only reason you'd want triples, go with tandem. If you have duals on your trailer you can probably pull the flat and run one inside okay.

I have my 32 on a triple and it's fine. I think I have a tad too much tongue weight, and have moved the boat farther aft but not much difference. I like the triple, I like the stability it offers. BUt I think if my axles were a "farther forward design", I'd have less tongue weight.

However, if I were buying a new trailer (I ordered this one to my specs, but had I known....) I would have done some things differently. I did get a tool box (to hold a battery) with electric tongue jack and that ROCKS. Wouldn't do it any other way. Also had it clear coated to keep any fading down. I'd always suggest a spare on the trailer, in any variation you choose.

However, next time, I will get electric brakes (like on an enclosed car trailer), not surge if at all possible (probably not, but there goes yet another business idea for me....LOL!). I run into so many problems backing up a hill. I have to keep a huge c-clamp with me to overcome this problem. I ordered it up, and still feel like a hill-billy sometimes...with ma handy dandy fancy plastic triggered c-clamp.

I would also request WHITE carpet to put but on the two front stop-bumpers (There is a name for them...can't recall it). My black mars up the bow of the boat, and white wouldn't. I will probably change mine next summer.

While the drive guard is cool, I'm not sure it would stop a 3,000 lb vehicle from hurting the boat. Plus, some I've seen look like a huge pain in the rear at the docks. Some look to work simpler than others. Fountains drives tuck up so far, most cars would go right under them. LOL!

Turning radius? Uh, well, my crew cab 4x4 isn't any help to a turning radius..... Depends on your tow vehicle. A crew cab dually with a jet ski has a huge turning radius. LOL!

Mark
Old 10-01-2002, 08:41 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,
I have a 10,000lb aluminum tandem and love it. My cuz and a friend both have triple axle aluminum and with 6 tires and wheels in the water the trailers float. Not much , but in the tidal conditions here it's enough to move the trailer one way or the other which can be a real pain in the ass when your trying to load up. My tandem is just heavy enough to stay put

Quick Reply: Tandem or triple axle trailer????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.