Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I pledge to not drink while operating a boat >

I pledge to not drink while operating a boat

Notices

I pledge to not drink while operating a boat

Old 08-31-2016, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pledging on the thread to not drink and boat when you don't drink anyhow is like me pledging not to have a baby. I have some occassional delicious beer when I boat and it is all about being responsible and legal. I think a lot depends on the boating you do as well, if I idle up the intercostal with girlfriend to diner it's differnt than performance boating. It's situational dependant and all about risk evaluatin. For example, I also enjoy motorcycling as a hobby . And I always go by the rule no alcohol when riding just immediately after. Mostly because in my opinion my reactions need to be at 100% to defend against other drivers.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

Since this thread's become a confessional, here goes.....

Been guilty many times for over-indulging but lucky enough to have beaten the odds and survived. Don't like playing that game anymore and I've woken up. Perhaps I'm finally acting my age!

A typical boating day for me now is lots of water, Coke and two beers. That's my limit, sometimes I have more back at the dock but I won't drive home.

Keep the confessions coming, it may help one of the anonymous people who still do all the things I used to do!

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 09-01-2016 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Because I can!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
A typical boating day for me now is lots of water, Coke and two beers. That's my limit, sometimes I have more back at the dock but I won't drive home.
Ah....nose beers!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

I guess that doesn't read too well......

Should have been more careful and said Coca-cola!

RR
Old 09-01-2016, 01:00 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Speaking of which, did anyone see this:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...z&ocid=U146DHP
Old 09-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Good post, I do not drink when I am the captain of the boat.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Since this thread's become a confessional, here goes.....

Been guilty many times for over-indulging but lucky enough to have beaten the odds and survived. Don't like playing that game anymore and I've woken up. Perhaps I'm finally acting my age!

Keep the confessions coming, it may help one of the anonymous people who still do all the things I used to do!

RR

I don't think this has become a confession thread, don't think it is a pledge not to drink thread either. I do think it is not a bad thing for us to have an open conversation about this on here. Some? Many? of us have had our day. Not to in any way lay this on the recent accidents. I would never do that, nor should anyone here, could be us tomorrow.

I had my deal, I made my decision many years ago. I love to get after this Biotch and get all it has to offer me, just don't feel that works with a few bourbons in the tank. Every boater has to make this call for themselves. Sharing life experiences with others is a good thing. Not a case of telling others what they should do. Just sharing, simple as that.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 09-01-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well said Eric.

I think we have too put more emphasis on the point that Eric is trying to make and less on any specific occurrence. The principal of operating a boat under the influence of anything is indisputable.

My takeaway is he's challenging us all to be responsible and being responsible also means not allowing a fellow boater who may not realize they're not in any condition to operate a boat. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I don't drink on my or anyone's boat, EVER, so you can count on me to lead by example!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Well said Eric.

I think we have too put more emphasis on the point that Eric is trying to make and less on any specific occurrence. The principal of operating a boat under the influence of anything is indisputable.

My takeaway is he's challenging us all to be responsible and being responsible also means not allowing a fellow boater who may not realize they're not in any condition to operate a boat. I don't think that's too much to ask.

I don't drink on my or anyone's boat, EVER, so you can count on me to lead by example!

Stand up response! We are all adults here and as such we should all be able to make responsible decisions.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

It would be interesting to see the ages of those who do, and those who dont.
There was a time when drinking and boating was not only acceptable, but hell, it was the way to enjoy boating. And the cops never hassled anyone, unless you were being an idiot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.