Old 08-31-2016, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 kayakers hit by a ferry in NYC

http://abcnews.go.com/US/10-kayakers...ry?id=41755632
Old 08-31-2016, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand how this could happen. I understand that the ferry might not have been able to see them. But how could they not see the ferry in time to move to a safe distance. It's not like the ferry is doing 30 knots. Or did they think they had the right away and the ferry would go around them?
Old 08-31-2016, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 775 Likes on 308 Posts

10 Less votes for Hillary.

Now get out there and paddle.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 775 Likes on 308 Posts

November 7 should be national kayaker and Dirty Hippie PaddleBoarder Day. Possibly all out on the Hudson or any other large dangerous body of water.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,161 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandonb_05
I don't understand how this could happen. I understand that the ferry might not have been able to see them. But how could they not see the ferry in time to move to a safe distance. It's not like the ferry is doing 30 knots. Or did they think they had the right away and the ferry would go around them?
I'm sure there'll be a big investigation, may be faults on both sides but I agree with you, how on Earth can this happen? It's a bit like getting hit by a train, you would need to be standing on the railway tracks!

RR
Old 08-31-2016, 11:57 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

you shouldn't drink and kayak.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 294 Likes on 103 Posts

Overall it's sad for all parties involved, especially not knowing the whole story.

What this does make me think of is boating here in the great lakes where people kayak miles out onto the lakes to islands etc. In BLUE kayaks. Sometimes there's 2'+ waves that hide them also.

Why not make kayaks and other small vessels require a 10' Orange flag like the silver lake dunes????
Old 09-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Overall it's sad for all parties involved, especially not knowing the whole story.

What this does make me think of is boating here in the great lakes where people kayak miles out onto the lakes to islands etc. In BLUE kayaks. Sometimes there's 2'+ waves that hide them also.

Why not make kayaks and other small vessels require a 10' Orange flag like the silver lake dunes????
SUP's are venturing more out into the bay, I keep telling my wife to watch for boats when she's out and be prepared to dive deep
Old 09-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah...this has happened to me a couple times when I boat to the city. Kayaking the Chicago skyline has become a lot more popular in the past couple years...and with as low to the water as they sit combined with the constant washtub of waves...I'm surprised there hasn't been more accidents...
Old 09-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 1,421 Likes on 793 Posts

Good to here they still let people run on the dunes, been a long long time since I have been there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.