Full or empty fuel tank this winter?

Notices

Full or empty fuel tank this winter?

Old 09-22-2016, 01:05 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
If you mean mixing the two fuels , some have said they can cause precipitate to form and cause problems.
When I unknowingly filled up with Ethanol fuel (it was marked as Ethanol Free) at a marina in FL; and left it in the boat for the remainder of the winter...
...upon first fire up in the spring; it ruined my all four of my fuel filters/separators; AND my fuel pumps (very expensive). As such, I am very cognizant of which fuel I get, and to ensure it's (over) treated with Star-Tron.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Have owned a boat since '98. We've had gasohol and E-10 around here as long as I can remember. Never had a fuel related problem with any of my 4 boats. I try to buy non-Ethanol when I can but all the road stations that carried it are now gone with the exception of the new Hy-Vee they just put in (91 octane is ethanol-free). My marina is ethanol-free but he is $1.50 over what you can buy it for on the road so I normally pull to fuel up. I think if you roached your fuel pumps and filters on a tank of gas there was something else in that fuel in addition to ethanol. Most of the guys on my dock fill up every October with E-10 and I've not heard of one issue come the following spring. This is everything from stock black motors to built-up blue motors both carb'd and fuel injected. Quality and freshness of the fuel play a big role in this IMO.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

I always wonder here when you never see anyone buying the ethanol free gas how old it is. Old non ethanol also is not good.

I don't have to worry about storage anymore but always run seafoam anyway. Seems the inlector guys like it so I mix it in with almost every tank.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone has their own opinion obviously. I say Bone dry empty and remove the gas caps ( so any moisture can evaporate) I don't start the season with 200 gallons of old gas. And any water would be on the bottom of the tank anyway so it would get through when you are just starting it up.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I start adding Sta-Bil (blue) around this time of year and the tank level ends up where it ends up. Top off in spring. Never an issue.
Ditto. Whats left in the tank doesn't bother me, as long as its treated properly.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
Everyone has their own opinion obviously. I say Bone dry empty and remove the gas caps ( so any moisture can evaporate) I don't start the season with 200 gallons of old gas. And any water would be on the bottom of the tank anyway so it would get through when you are just starting it up.
I'm not sure I understand the removing the gas caps. Is moisture not able to evaporate through the tank venting system/overflow?
Old 09-22-2016, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to fill with non-ethanol every fall. After draining 75 gallons to replace a fuel tank this spring, I'm running it low and siphoning the rest off to be used in the cars. It was a royal pain to drain, I ended up giving about 15 gallons to a neighbor just to get on with my project, and all gas gets old and loses octane. It's another 600lbs of weight on the trailer, too. So my prediction is an apocalypse/natural disaster will occur sometime after November when I don't have a full boat tank as a reserve.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
. . . . and all gas gets old and loses octane. . . . .
actually i believe the octane never changes, its the volatiles that lose their properties.

Originally Posted by Padraig
Why, please?

Padraig
eth land and non eth marine fuel have additives that do not mix well together, they can turn into a sludge like slurry
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 09-22-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boats74
I'm not sure I understand the removing the gas caps. Is moisture not able to evaporate through the tank venting system/overflow?
I think more air would be more evaporation . A test would be 2 burger king cups. One without a lid and one with a lid and a vent size hole cut in it . I believe the larger opening would evaporate better
Old 09-22-2016, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
actually i believe the octane never changes, its the volatiles that lose their properties.
http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/SeaApr10Ethanol.pdf
First line, first answer of this article. I'm just going off the lies I've been fed by the marine industrial complex. Clearly it's a conspiracy to sell fuel additives and extraction devices!!!!

Last edited by Speedracer29; 09-22-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.