Georgia DNR Releases Lake Lanier Accident Investigation Report

Notices

Georgia DNR Releases Lake Lanier Accident Investigation Report

Old 10-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,314 Posts
Default Georgia DNR Releases Lake Lanier Accident Investigation Report

Closure on a tragedy, https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...igation-report.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds a lot like a Skater crash I recall from Cumberland a few years ago, skill and experience cannot correct ego. Very very sad, RIP all of you.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Sad deal. What I don't understand, if they were killed on impact, how would PFDs improved survivability?
Old 10-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by hvymtl939
Sad deal. What I don't understand, if they were killed on impact, how would PFDs improved survivability?
Only if the impact rendered them unconscious and therefore they immediately drowned. But the way it is written it more leaves you to believe they died from blunt force trauma. If that is the case then the jacket only keeps the body afloat for rescue to retrieve. A good jacket provides some upper body protection but at those speeds, I can't imagine one would have made much of a difference in that respect. RIP.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxximus
Sounds a lot like a Skater crash I recall from Cumberland a few years ago, skill and experience cannot correct ego. Very very sad, RIP all of you.
Yes very close to the same circumstances and Vessel 2 in this case is the same as the "lead boat" in the Cumberland crash however not the same owner or operator in both events.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 400 Likes on 127 Posts

After the last 2 accidents, I had a discussion with an industry expert. My point of view is at those speeds, you wear a jacket so they can find you, so its easier on your family and friends. His point of view is that a jacket helps your safety mindset, and there's always a chance of survival. He has forgotten more about boats than I will ever learn about them. I have lots of hours at 100++ and rarely wore my Lifeline, but that is a personal choice. Kind of like a helmet on a motorcycle. Needless to say, I've been extremely lucky.

RIP to those that we lost this summer.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

With the DCB that flipped in Havasu at Desert Storm both of them were wearing life vest and they both survived. ( now it wasn't doing 140 but was still hauling ass)
Old 10-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GETTINBYE
Yes very close to the same circumstances and Vessel 2 in this case is the same as the "lead boat" in the Cumberland crash however not the same owner or operator in both events.
I'm not superstitious typically, but I'm not boating anywhere near that machine. That's uncanny.

Vessel 2's wake at speed would be close to non-existent. Makes me wonder if Vessel 1 tried to pack water/roost.

Regardless, condolences again to the family and friends of these two couples. I hate hearing about these accidents.

Last edited by Keytime; 10-05-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GETTINBYE
I was going to say the same thing, pretty eerie.

Very sad regardless of what exactly happened. RIP
Old 10-05-2016, 05:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Seems like lack of life jackets also gets you out of toxicology tests.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.