Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Opinions of surface drives >

Opinions of surface drives

Notices

Opinions of surface drives

Old 10-07-2002, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found one earlier this year, like new with everything to hook it up (except trans) for $1500. I found another one in good shape for $1000, I think it may have been missing the trim or something.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

MARK,

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A CAT MY BRO HAS ONE

COMPLETELY RE GEL COATED. EVERYTHING WAS STRIPPED, NEW INTERIOR FROM AL'S(OUTERLIMITS) WITH SKATER FIVE MAN BACK SEAT, ARNESON COMPLETELY REBUILT BY ARENSON AND TOTALLY POWDERCOATED, ROCKER PLATES, FRSH 572/900HP+ ZUL ENGINES ALL EICKERT ACCS, 3 STAGE PUMPS NEW INTERCOOLERS, STELLINGS, MSD IGNITION,TRI AXLE TRAILER....ANYWAY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED
Old 10-07-2002, 07:23 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

James,

I bought it from National Liquidators in Ft Lauderdale a couple of years ago as project. I didn't pay a whole bunch for it. It was a very tired boat with new engines (about 100hrs) My wife was not happy when she saw it for the first time!

It has Marine Power 410 hp 502s w/1.5 to 1 twin disc gears, spinning 18x21 3 blade rolla props. I cruise about 35mph @3,500 rpm with average load.(Fuel, beer, etc.)

I talked to Harley boats about this boat. He was very familiar with it. As he should. He has owned it three times!

He built it as a cargo utility boat. It had triple 450hp Merlin diesels with suface drives and 850 gal fuel. It was spec'ed to carry 15,000lbs and still get on plane. A year or so later he bought it back at a Marshalls auction."Gee imagine that". He sold the engines, converted to pleasure with twin gas power. It then went thru a few more owners before I got it.

These boats are deep vee kevlar construction. They are built like a tank. I think that they are about indestructable. Most of the rigging is very, very, heavy duty. I think some of this stuff belongs on a ship. The fit and finish does leave a bit to be desired. Mine was pretty rough when I got it, but I have looked at a couple of other ones that were supposed to be in good shape. I was not impressed. I have been working very hard to bring the level of fit and finish up to a high standard. I have refinished to top sides and replaced all of the cabin interior.

Nothing has really gone wrong that had anything to do with the boat. I did give it the stress test last summer. After I had the top sides repainted w/Imron, I ran it up the Columbia River Gorge, from Longview, WA to Kennewick, WA. This is about 300 miles of some of the worst wind and waves that most of us will never see. Most people do this trip in a week. We did it in ten hours. We pulled into the marina and I went straight to bed. As hard as we pounded that boat there was not one stress crack in the new paint or any where else when we got home.

The features that attracted me to Harleys:

All kevlar
(Light weight)
Engines under floor
(You can step aboard instead of crawling).
Huge cockpit
(I hope to fish it in S.E. Alaska this summer)
Surface Drives
(No more leaking bellows, and stripping and painting drives every year)
Very large and practical cabin

Only ***** I have is the rooster tail, I can't see a damn thing behind me.
AnyWay you asked

I got some great before and after pics if anyone is interested

Steve H
Old 10-07-2002, 07:57 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id like to Rig a powerglide to a asd-6 not sure what size stall converter I would use? the asd6's used are cheap without a trans and well everyone knows what a powerglide can be had for
Old 10-07-2002, 07:59 PM
JGB
Registered

Thanks A Bunch Steve, I really appreciate it. I like the Harley for the same reasons you do and was really intrigued by the performance for such a huge boat. I think it has a 10 1.2 ft beam maybe 11 1/2?

I am amazed you hit 50 mph with twin 502s, I would like to hit 50 with diesel power.

Any pictures of your project before and after would be great and i would love to continue this discussion in the future at your leisure. My Email is [email protected].

thanks again and look forward to future discussions and pics.

James
Old 10-07-2002, 08:19 PM
Registered

Going fast w/ surface drive is easy to control. What about when you need precision around the docks? dosent that piss you off, seeing someone with one of the nicest boats youve seen but they have no idea how to drive it?
Old 10-07-2002, 09:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I owned an Arnseon 6A drop center with gears once. Bought it new from arneson when they bought it back from borg-warner.What a great drive!. Came complete with steering ram , trim ram , pump, prop and coupler. I first bolted it to an Avenger converted inboard with a 327 small block and it went like hell. I than picked up a 24' panther [popoff of a superboat but with a pad] and placed the arneson with an LS6 454 450hp. Worked out very well and was fantastic on fuel. Takes a little getting used to with single engine [ wanted to pull to the right when backing down fast] don't think twins have that problem. It never broke and I beat the hell out of it. I wish I had bought the bronze model that they offered. If I had I would still own it and just kept swapping from boat to boat.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Know what would be cool. A twin arneson/single engine setup.How about it Howard?
Old 10-07-2002, 09:51 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default control?

>Going fast w/ surface drive is easy to control. What about when you need precision around the docks?

I have fixed surface drives. They are the worst. There is definitely a learning curve. If there is no wind or bad current, it is quite easy. If it way windy, you should stay out tight situations, unless you have a competent crew to give you a hand. Never expect reverse to get you out of trouble! Always approach docks and other boats very very slow.

Steve H
Old 10-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Too Old, As for power draw on the Arneson , I don't think it takes much . With the drive coupler off I can spin the input shaft turning the entire drive and prop shaft with my finger tips with ease!! I actualy had to look over the back and see that it was still attached ! It was too easy ....

WWW TOPDJ COM, The power glide would be cool if you needed it but you wouldn't need a torque converter. Just run a direct drive coupler the all boat trans do .

HyperBaja, I have no problem at all with docking or handleing in anyway with mine . The only thing is with 1.32 gears and 17 1/2x32 pich props , when you put it in gear you are going to jump fast and far as with all boats with big power . The other thing is backing up . Even with only 1 engine in reverse it goes so fast in about 10 seconds it throughs water over the transom . It's hell if you have to back out of a slip or lagoon ! But it handles fine . I think all of it is who's behind the wheel .

Quick Reply: Opinions of surface drives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.