Arneson conversion on 21' ski boat >

Arneson conversion on 21' ski boat

Notices

Arneson conversion on 21' ski boat

Old 03-18-2017, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Arneson conversion on 21' ski boat

Fantastic site, I always read lots of good tech stuff, and nice to see so many beautiful boats

Have finally started on my converting ski boat over to arneson 1720 bronze direct drive to 21 ft ski boat
originally this boat was run with 250hp outboard, and then the chap I purchased boat from had hacked out the transom for inboard leg setup
after closer inspection lower transom was rotten and back 700mm of stringers
so bit the bullet, and cut out the lower transom. It needed to be modified for the arneson, although was looking to run a wedge to straighten the transom angle thinking transom was solid and didnt need any work
so where are we at present
the transom is now modified, well all the hard work of cutting, grinding, fibreglassing, and reworking, it needs finishing
I used vinyl ester and 600grm (2oz) CSM, 17oz biaxle, and 25oz biaxle fabric, and ended up with 48oz on inner transom, and 67oz on outer transom, laminated onto to 3 layers of laminated marine ply, giving total thickness of 70-75mm
so with some luck it should be stronger enough

Now turning the attention to repairing stringers

as far as mechanics, i will be running the arneson 1720 bronze drive, using RH 19 spline prop, not sure of final prop, have managed to accumulated 6 of them over last few years ranging from 14.5-17.5" dia and 18-23" pitch
have managed to purchase casale, and Hallcraft Z-drive with a range of gears from 1:1, 10%, 22%, 28%, 33%, 38% which should give me plenty of scope to tune setup
the Z-drive will be mated to crash gearbox for F/N/R
19" K-planes
mating to turbo 502 ci or Nat Aspirated 565 ci

I need some help of 2 questions:

1. TRANSOM ANGLE:
the lower angle now is 3-4 degrees, upper transom angle is approx. 16 degrees
DO I NEED TO RUN A WEDGE WHEN ARNESON IS BOLTING UP TO INCREASE LOWER TRANSOM ANGLE TO 6 DEGREES

2. HYDRAULIC STEERING PUMP:
I'M NEEDING CHAR LYNN HYDRAULIC STEERING, I'M AWARE ON THE LARGER ARNESON ASD 8-10 THEY ARE USING LARGER HYDRAULIC CYLINDER FOR STEERING AND USE MODEL CHAR LYNN 211-1010-002 WHICH GIVE APPROX 9.4CI
HOWEVER WHAT CHAR LYNN MODEL IS USED ON SMALLER ASD 6, WHICH i ASSUMING HAVE SIMILAR HYDRAULIC STEERING CYLINDER TO WHAT i HAVE ON 1720 DRIVE, WHICH LOOKS TO BE 2.0: ID X 10' LONG, WITH 1' RAM
Therefore was thinking that would need char lynn 211-1007-003 which outs out 4.5 ci

i POSTED A FEW PICTURES OF THE BOAT WHICH IS WORK IN PROGRESS

any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by brett fiddes; 03-18-2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 03-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Registered

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Registered

Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Registered