Chesapeake Bay - Sandy Anchorages >

Chesapeake Bay - Sandy Anchorages

Notices

Chesapeake Bay - Sandy Anchorages

Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chesapeake Bay - Sandy Anchorages

Every captain on the Chesapeake knows the usual spots like behind Hart Miller Island where boaters congregate to break out the barbecue grill and take a dip in the water on sunny weekends during the summer. But almost every captain also knows a few local anchorages where they can drop anchor or just raft up with a few friends when they want to avoid the crowds too. (THOSE are what I'm looking for).

I'm attempting to create a comprehensive Google Map of shallow "sandy", (not mud, muck, or rocky), anchorages around the bay. The kind of place where you can anchor and everyone on board can jump off and stand barefoot in chest deep water (4'-5') on a sandy bottom with a sandy walk up shoreline.

What I'm looking for are either lat long coords or very specific location descriptions that you have a first hand knowledge of, along with a short sentence or two describing the best way to anchor there, how crowded it gets (or doesn't get) during the summer months, and any unique characteristics of the location.

The current map can be found here and will remain publicly available as it grows:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...2330000002&z=9
Old 05-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Still Pond is my all time favorite.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sonicss42
Still Pond is my all time favorite.
Got that one.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lloyd's Creek on Sassafras
Ordinary Point on the Sassafras
Bohemia River, go a little further east to the "Duck Blind" or go under the bridge to Ski Beach
Seneca Point on the NE River (Also called Green Point)
Bouy 2 on the NE River, can get a little rough with traffic, but another popular spot
Old 05-24-2017, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Lloyds creek is a great spot ! always a great time . Tollchester is another great spot.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:13 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 873 Likes on 322 Posts

Aren't the sea nettles out in force during swim season?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
Aren't the sea nettles out in force during swim season?
Sea Nettles don't usually start showing up in the middle bay to spawn in significant numbers until late summer (usually late August) through early fall. But you can check the NOAA Sea Nettle Predictor Chart (see below) which tracks their likely locations based on temperature and salinity and are pretty accurate.

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/Loops/S...aNettles.shtml
Old 05-25-2017, 08:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by baja27
Lloyds creek is a great spot ! always a great time . Tollchester is another great spot.
I've got Tolchester Beach on the map already. But thanks for Lloyds creek! I'm assuming you mean on the outside of the sand bar that blocks the entrance? The depths on the chart look too shallow to get behind it for anything with inboards that requires a few feet to stay off the bottom.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:43 AM
Registered

Sand Island, Fishing Battery Island, Salt Flats (as what we call them, I think others refer to it as the Susquehanna flats), Huckleberry point (cove just south of Bohemia River). Just a few of the places we frequent
Old 05-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Lloyd's creek you go in the inside , there is a small channel that takes you in , once your in you will see all the boats in there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.