Image of the Week: Lake Winnebago Beat Down

Notices

Image of the Week: Lake Winnebago Beat Down

Old 06-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
Roll your eyes all you want.

The gulf isn't exactly flat all the time or even most. Love the lake crew mentality that only the greater lakes get any really waves and no where else in the world does.

My Sonic on a random and sunny Sunday

Last edited by Nate5.0; 06-16-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I roll my eyes because you always have to toss in your $.02 whether or not it's even pertinent to the discussion at hand.

Since you think Winnebago is comparable to the gulf....here's a visual for you.

Secondly, here's a comparison of Winnebago vs the actual Great Lakes since the "gulf crew" seems to think that's all that exists up here.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
I roll my eyes because you always have to toss in your $.02 whether or not it's even pertinent to the discussion at hand.

Since you think Winnebago is comparable to the gulf....here's a visual for you.

Secondly, here's a comparison of Winnebago vs the actual Great Lakes since the "gulf crew" seems to think that's all that exists up here.

No most of us are very certain what's up there and that it get's rough there, thanks for your maps though!

Also I rarely ever toss my $0.02 about things up there and how the water conditions are. I think you may have me mistaken for someone else. That said I post what I posted cause....well I felt like it. The water looked fun and I am sure it was a blast to ride in. Day like that are some of the ones we all remember most.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Great Lakes and large inland lakes are rarely respected by ocean-goers because of their simple lack of knowledge on it, those ocean boys who have ridden the lakes know it can be just as choppy or more. The simple difference is timing, lakes tend to have less timing between waves and more of a choppy state (bathtub)...as to the Gulf or open ocean where you deal with more of a swell. I'd recommend just walking away from someone who argues against it...they more than likely have only experienced one or the other.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lake winnebago and the wolf river is a great place to boat.... miss the pioneer.. best part fresh water... pic from 1998 run
Attached Thumbnails Image of the Week: Lake Winnebago Beat Down-dcf62.jpg-4-horseman.jpg  

Last edited by northernoffshore; 06-17-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MullenTJ86
The Great Lakes and large inland lakes are rarely respected by ocean-goers because of their simple lack of knowledge on it, those ocean boys who have ridden the lakes know it can be just as choppy or more. The simple difference is timing, lakes tend to have less timing between waves and more of a choppy state (bathtub)...as to the Gulf or open ocean where you deal with more of a swell. I'd recommend just walking away from someone who argues against it...they more than likely have only experienced one or the other.

personally I have all the respect in the world for it. Usually I see it the other way as in the guys that boat on those lakes act as if it is the only rough water on the planet.

I have boated loto after the shootout and it is everything people say it is. rough, confusing, and all over the place. I know the great Lakes get very nasty and very rough as well. all the respect in the world to the guys that tackle it.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I`ve heard good thing about Lake RV. Is there a nice marina somewhere for overnighting? I`d like to check it out this year.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
lake winnebago and the wolf river is a great place to boat.... miss the pioneer.. best part fresh water... pic from 1998 run
Pioneer just got bought and is expected to reopen.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Back in the day the Pioneer Inn was a blast with tons of space to tie of and great food. Many a great time spent there as a kid and teen ager. I miss that water and the area.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I`ve heard good thing about Lake RV. Is there a nice marina somewhere for overnighting? I`d like to check it out this year.
Dan,
What once was the Pioneer, motel, resort and marina, is now just the Pioneer Marina. They have a decent launch for larger boats and offer overnight slips. Years ago, the place used to rock, with weddings every weekend, and an outdoor Tiki bar. Then years back, they bulldozed the resort, which was rather large, to build condos or something. I'm not sure of the actual story, but I heard they couldn't get approval for the condos. Years go by, with just the marina remaining. It's still used by some old salts, but not the packed marina it used to be. Rather sad, when you launch there, you go by mainly vacant slips, with a bunch of seagulls hanging out. I don't know anything about the resort being re-built as someone mentioned. The marina facilities (showers) are ok, certainly not great. There is a hotel around the corner on the river that has docks which I would suggest staying at. The city has added a lot of public docks on the river, and things are definitely looking up! There are a lot of different areas to boat, you can run up the Wolf to Fremont for lunch, maybe 25 miles, or drop anchor 2 miles south of the Pioneer, where a lot of boats gather every weekend. The EAA fly in is fun to view from the water, and they do a barge band party one weekend in summer. Check it out sometime!