Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
36 Skater accident at Havasu >

36 Skater accident at Havasu

Notices

36 Skater accident at Havasu

Old 06-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Anyone that thinks they have the right of way because their boat goes xxx mph is 100 % wrong.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

There is one indisputable fact that everyone must always remember. Most boat operators only drive there boats once or twice a year. They don't have a clue about rules of the road and seldom pay attention to other boat traffic. You must drive defensively during peak boating times because these operators have no idea what to do in boat traffic.

I have completely stopped in the water because I had no idea which way they were going.

Everybody be safe. And always carefully pick your time and place to push the throttles open.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
That's exactly the way I have operated my boats forever and I've yet to regret it - although I have been the one to stand down or even come off plane countless times when I had the right-of-way. We as HP boaters have machines that will two-fold out-accelerate and outrun any potential idiot that might ever wander across our path (if we can turn them) so I always "TRY" to keep enough distance between myself and any potential idiots so I can avoid them no matter what erratic move they make. . If it is too crowded or if I am in too restricted a channel to allow for such maneuvers I simply I slow down - or even stop.

I assure you guys that although some people on this site feel that it is the responsibility of every other boater that we share the water with to account for the possibility that one of us might come barreling at them in a 150+ MPH machine, the rest of the boating community does not share that view. The first time one of our 150 MPH machines runs over a 14 year old erratic girl on a jet ski it might be over for all of us because the public will vilify us to hell and back no matter how at fault the teenager was.
Well said, I have found that there is a device in my go-fast that keeps me out of trouble in crowded waters ......... it's a throttle ..... and I pull back on it.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Same here.

That's exactly the way I have operated my boats forever and I've yet to regret it - although I have been the one to stand down or even come off plane countless times when I had the right-of-way. We as HP boaters have machines that will two-fold out-accelerate and outrun any potential idiot that might ever wander across our path (if we can turn them) so I always "TRY" to keep enough distance between myself and any potential idiots so I can avoid them no matter what erratic move they make. . If it is too crowded or if I am in too restricted a channel to allow for such maneuvers I simply I slow down - or even stop.

I assure you guys that although some people on this site feel that it is the responsibility of every other boater that we share the water with to account for the possibility that one of us might come barreling at them in a 150+ MPH machine, the rest of the boating community does not share that view. The first time one of our 150 MPH machines runs over a 14 year old erratic girl on a jet ski it might be over for all of us because the public will vilify us to hell and back no matter how at fault the teenager was.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:25 AM
Registered

I agree with you. It's just too much risk otherwise. I despise lake lice but they are not going anywhere and are indeed increasing as the yahoo quotient multiplies around here. Conroe is now the fastest growing city in the USA - that's right 11-12% a year and real estate is skyrocketing. They have built 10,000+ 3-4 story apartment units in the lake area in the last 1-2 years and every yahoo is buying a - yep you guessed it. I employ my wife as vigilant spotter and don't go for a run without her.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ar300johnson
There is one indisputable fact that everyone must always remember. Most boat operators only drive there boats once or twice a year. They don't have a clue about rules of the road and seldom pay attention to other boat traffic. You must drive defensively during peak boating times because these operators have no idea what to do in boat traffic.

I have completely stopped in the water because I had no idea which way they were going.

Everybody be safe. And always carefully pick your time and place to push the throttles open.
"like"
Old 06-22-2017, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They waited until early Monday morning. Had all the Safty gear working for them. This was after the weekend boat traffic. Horrible accident. It really sounds like they were trying to be safe. Testing for the shootout on a Monday morning. Hope everyone can make a full recovery.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 379 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by akaboatman
They waited until early Monday morning. Had all the Safty gear working for them. This was after the weekend boat traffic. Horrible accident. It really sounds like they were trying to be safe. Testing for the shootout on a Monday morning. Hope everyone can make a full recovery.
It sure seems like they did take effort to do the testing at what in theory would seem the best possible time. And when that jet ski ran in front of them the driver made a split second decision to put himself in harms way. As others have pointed out, we'd be looking at a very different public reaction if he hadn't.

Hoping for a speedy recovery.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:24 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

BTW- The like button is back.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I feel good after reading the last 1/2 dozen posts that a lot of you guys truly care about your safety as well as everyone around you. Like a lot have said, there are so many morons on the water who just went out and bought a boat or rented a boat yet have no clue about the activity. It's very scary on my lake every wknd when there are boats going in every direction without a single clue about safety. Like others have said, I'd rather come off plane and putz until I figure out what the idiots are going to do. Too many times I'm rolling down the lake and 40-50 and a boat will just continue to rip across my bow and not even look. As if they can't hear my exhaust and see me coming. Even if I have the right of way I typically alter my course just to get away from the idiots and lake lice. I'm happy to hear the occupants of the Skater are OK and I pray that all of us out on the waterways stay safe.