383 Stroker MAG or Captains Choice 6.0L >

383 Stroker MAG or Captains Choice 6.0L

Notices

383 Stroker MAG or Captains Choice 6.0L

Old 07-15-2017, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 Stroker MAG or Captains Choice 6.0L

Looking to get some input on these two engines. I am replacing a 1996 OMC 454 in my 25 whitewater center console, it bit the dust this season and its time to pull the trigger. My current 454 is putting out 300hp, the 383 will give 350hp and the crusader will give 370hp. I haven't yet been able to check the torque curve of the 6.0L but the 383 torque curve is pretty close to the 454 if I am not mistaken. I am not too concerned with going faster, I cruise at 22knts and I'm good with that. I am most concerned with product quality and longevity of use. I was pretty deadset on the mere 383 stroker mag mpi with FWC but then I started looking at the crusader engines and they are entirely FWC and the Captains choice 6.0L looks pretty attractive. I have a certified merc dealer and service right around the corner from my house but Crusader has a limited network of techs and the closest one is roughly 45 minutes away. I have begun researching the crusader but its been hard to find any recent feedback on the particular model in the past 5 years on different forums.

Does anyone have any experience with the crusader 6.0L that can lend some info as to how they like it and what not? I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

have you looked at indmar? no experience but they are pretty hard into the ls marine stuff if your wanting to go small block
Old 07-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 445 Likes on 217 Posts

I think you answered your own question regarding the lack of support for the Crusader product. Stick with Mercruiser.

You might want to check out this option from Merc re-manufacturing. A good upgrade without sacrificing the torque you lose by going with a small block.

Mercury Remanufacturing 540 MAG Bravo 4V Inboard, Sterndrive, Control System 2016 Engine Test / Reviews Videos, Specs, Fast Facts, Captain reports | BoatTEST.com
Old 07-15-2017, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Any small block will work harder to do the same task as a BB,
Old 07-16-2017, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Stick with a fwc 454. It is what your boat is set up around. A small block, ANY small block will not live as long or move the boat as well. And the bigger dinero outlay for 502 or more inches I don't think will be worth it to you. And your current 454 makes more than 300, I don't care what the sticker on valve cover says.