31 sonic and me getting screwed >

31 sonic and me getting screwed

Notices

31 sonic and me getting screwed

Old 08-01-2017, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 31 sonic and me getting screwed

I'm not even sure where to start here... Bought a Sonic 31ss from IMG in Tampa. The salesman informs me while negotiating that the stbd motor has a failure when they sea trialed it- manifold failed and pulled water into the motor. Not that I was looking for a project but the price was right and IMG wanted out of it. So I go down to look at it and buy it as is. The sales guy at IMG sings the praises of a local guy there that does a lot of work for them- xxxxx Marine. I was really torn whether to bring it up here and have it done locally, do it myself, or have it done down there. Spoke to the owner of xxxxx Marine and he said all the right things to me., Agreed on him doing it- full reman on stbd engine, new manifolds, new risers, full services on both engines, new oil pans, impellers, tstat housings, oil lines, and check over/ service both engines and drives. He sure was warm and fuzzy at first- I get it man- you're up there and worried about having it done down here- it will be right- I will send you photos and videos as it moves along- blah blah. Then days and days would go by where with no contact unless he wanted money. I start to get this pit in my stomach like oh **** maybe I made a bad decision here. Fast forward the boat finally arrives and the first time out- stbd is running hot- 180 and still going so I shut it off- and oil pressure is low- once warm- 28-30 idle and barely 50 over idle, after I let it cool off I run it again on the way back and then one of the exhaust manifold gaskets fails. So we go in that night- having hoped to spend the first night on it. Next afternoon was a back and forth with him sending photos of my temp gun on the t stat housings, gauges, hoses, risers, and manifolds, jumping the stbd temp gauge to port motor to confirm it is not the gauge, checking for leaks, etc. He says he will call his engine guy in the morning- and I never hear back from him. Called him again and tells me that the work was done as-is and not to contact him anymore. Also tells me that if I had come down there to sea trial the boat any issues would have been resolved but there is nothing he can do for me now... Also calls me a liar stating I have way more run time than I was admitting. And nothing was ever mentioned about as-is until I paid the last and final invoice with as-is on it. While I get as-is with these boats- certainly I did not get what I paid him for- an engine that functions properly. So I bring it over to xxxx Marine locally as I just dont have time with my work right now at all and want to be on the water on the weekend- not under the hatch. He finds the wrong t-stat housings on it, fixes it, and replaces the manifold gaskets. Also takes some pics of the exhaust ports on stbd head- which are badly corroded. Said they absolutely should have been addressed and disclosed when the engine was apart and was really surprised the mechanic and definitely the machine shop didn’t mention it. He said the new gaskets should hold it for a while but may blow out again. So we get the boat out for run 2. Weather was crap so not much run time at all. Stbd oil pressure still a little low and I don’t like it but am watching it and not running hard at all. Port temp is steady at 140 and stbd is holding 160. Go into OB and realize the Port motor is stuck in forward. After struggling to raft up to my brothers boat-- opening the hatch revealed the port shift cable had been ripped off, shift bracket broken on motor, and cable damaged to shift controls. The shift cable to the drive contacted the engine coupler and ripped it all apart. So that ends that day. Also find oil leak coming from timing cover on stbd motor. Good leak but not enough to give the lower oil pressure issue I have been watching. Back to xxxxx marine to repair. He reports he is surprised the cable ripped apart like this- said he has never seen this happen before- only was it could have happened is if it had been routed incorrectly. Paid him to do that and check it over. Mentions the oil leak and tells me to keep an eye on it. 3rd and final time out- short run out after stopping twice to check over things- oil level, etc, - and just cruising on plane 2700-3250 for about 15 miles and stbd temp starts creeping up. I slow down and cruise just barely on plane for a few and Stbd temp keeps climbing so I bring it to an idle and stbd stalls. Let it cool for a few and try to start stbd back up and it is locked up- wont turn over- locked up.

SO basically that is my story so far. Looks like I got about as screwed as one can get. I paid good money for the repairs that were supposed to be done, never rushed him, cut corners, approved things that were added, and told him to keep it for longer if needed for the water test (could not go for this with work and family commitments) as I wanted it done right. I am wondering if the engine was even ever rebuilt. When I asked him for the specs on the rebuild he said he used his vendor and only got a receipt- which was also never sent to me. Given that nonsense response and the condition of the cylinder head exhaust ports- I am thinking the engine was never rebuilt at all and never saw a machine shop. Left the 2 repair companies names out as I am exploring what options I have here.

Guess my post is out of frustration and maybe some advice. I have been a long time lurker on the board and learned a ton keeping my 21 ft sunray going ofr the last 5 years. Was so excited to move up and get a real boat, and have it gone through to not have any issues this season. Talk about issues…. I am back in the same boat I was in in April- a really good used sonic with a crap stbd motor. Only thing different is I all ready spent the money to fix this once.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 154 Posts

Where in Tampa did this rebuild? I will tell you know there is not a lot of folks in this area I am trusting with an I/O powerboat motor. What kind of motors are we talking about here as well?

Really sucks what has happened and I would be livid as well.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock 502 Merc Gen 5 carb motors. No aftermarket or performance parts.
I am holding off on listing the company until I explore legal options- I will post that and some other facts once I figure that out. I have a meeting with an attorney today and they may take it on contingency which would be really nice. He actually lied in his response to the better business bureau complaint I filed which I thought was really weird... I have been doing some research on warranty of workman like performance and consumer protection laws. While it is time consuming and tedious there looks to be some things that are in my favor.
The salesman we bought it from at IMG was actually pretty helpful even though the repairs did not come through them. He even tried to mediate for us but to no avail. I tried to no go to the litigation route but his responses and attitude have left me with no other choice.

The local company who has helped repair some of the crap work is known and reputable in MA with go fast boats. Likely on this forum and is a good dude. I just have never been in this position before and have been feeling so guilty for not listening to my gut and bringing it home to have it done locally or have done it myself. The wife has been grouper lipped for the last 2 weeks about it. She couldn't wait to be back on the water....
Old 08-01-2017, 02:51 PM
ben
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like a mess! hope you get it all figured out!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 154 Posts

I know the place you got it from, big formula dealer in the area that has been long standing.

hate you got jerked around on this.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Very few peeps I trust in the Tampa area. I been taking my boat to Innovation in Sarasota for everything, but minor maintenance. I hope your dealing wasn't with MarineMax. Run as fast as you can from them.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:47 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

orig bearings will have something like A100 and under that the month and year and under that GM stamped on them. if this is on the bearings, you (and a court of law) can be reasonably sure he didn't buy a new standard crank and order 15 or 20 year old bearings from the chebby dealer. unfortunately when you win, all you usually get is a judgement. cuz if he treats people like this, there are people in line in front of you waiting for their money back too. fly back and forth to tampa a couple of times and waste a couple of days in court. you have spent the price of a gen 5 454 easy...call sick stinger in Swansea. he has a couple of engines around.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:27 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Another Florida Pirate storey.... Very sorry for your situation...
Old 08-02-2017, 08:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 491 Posts

Rotten story, doesn't read like you were taking a huge gamble and my guess is that the cowboy who did the work probably thought his b-grade work would stand up. When it all fell apart, he ran the other way. Hope your attorney comes up with something encouraging but watch out, not too many lawyers work free for very long.

Sometimes bad things happen to good guys and you just have to put them into the 'sometimes life sucks' bin. I hope this isn't one of them. Good luck.

RR
Old 08-02-2017, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Some people suck
good luck,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.