Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Hey guys looking for some advice on a 36 Warlock Cat haul. >

Hey guys looking for some advice on a 36 Warlock Cat haul.

Notices

Hey guys looking for some advice on a 36 Warlock Cat haul.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Volvo engines, what are they
They are 600hp motors built by innovation motors, I've heard nothing but good things about those engine atleast. The drives are DPX which I hear I quite strong and have built in external steering.

Last edited by mxzxracer16; 08-22-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 399 Likes on 147 Posts

I built a 36 Warlock for 1 of my race teams back in the day and anything over 105 and the boat is very unstable the tunnel is not large enuff to control the air at those speeds in packs and unloads at anything over 100 mph . and the boat you are looking at has not been maintained very well for many years.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Archer
I built a 36 Warlock for 1 of my race teams back in the day and anything over 105 and the boat is very unstable the tunnel is not large enuff to control the air at those speeds in packs and unloads at anything over 100 mph . and the boat you are looking at has not been maintained very well for many years.
That's exactly the type of information and advice I was looking for, I completely appreciate your knowledge on these. Thank you for your response! If you don't mind me asking would you believe this boat would be a decent setup for running sub 100s low 90s on inland lake and light offshore use? What do you gauge the valuation of this boat to be as it sits in its current status as seen? Thanks again,

Adam
Old 08-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mxzxracer16
They are 600hp motors built by innovation motors, I've heard nothing but good things about those engine atleast. The drives are DPX which I hear I quite strong and have built in external steering.
Fantastic engine i had a boat with a single and the DPX. Most people on here know i am very big on Volvo stuff especially the DPX. Wish they still made them they really are pretty durable plus they have a sacrificial link between the upper and lower that, in theory, gives before you do any damage.

Originally Posted by mxzxracer16
That's exactly the type of information and advice I was looking for, I completely appreciate your knowledge on these. Thank you for your response! If you don't mind me asking would you believe this boat would be a decent setup for running sub 100s low 90s on inland lake and light offshore use? What do you gauge the valuation of this boat to be as it sits in its current status as seen? Thanks again,

Adam
I think it would be a fun set up that will be pretty tough to hurt but the down side is you wont likely be able to push the DP drive much past the mid 90's. At those speeds and above the second prop becomes more of a drag and gets beyond its capabilities. In other words its a steep exponential curve in the HP needed to push past that extra drag and then you start to hurt stuff. I still think its worth looking at because it would probably be a fairly trouble free and still fast and very fun ride. If you do decide to pursue looking at it you can use that set up to your advantage when arguing a lower price. Fact is they dont make the DPX anymore and it will turn away most people that dont have experience with it. I would not shy away from it . . . but then again a have three or four spare drives . The hull itself is a bit of an anomaly, I've never had my hands on one and not many guys here have experience with the brand and i have not heard anything directly bad about them . . . or good for that mater . . . get a survey and get some good eyes on it for sure.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-22-2017, 11:59 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Fantastic engine i had a boat with a single and the DPX. Most people on here know i am very big on Volvo stuff especially the DPX. Wish they still made them they really are pretty durable plus they have a sacrificial link between the upper and lower that, in theory, gives before you do any damage.

I think it would be a fun set up that will be pretty tough to hurt but the down side is you wont likely be able to push the DP drive much past the mid 90's. At those speeds and above the second prop becomes more of a drag and gets beyond its capabilities. In other words its a steep exponential curve in the HP needed to push past that extra drag and then you start to hurt stuff. I still think its worth looking at because it would probably be a fairly trouble free and still fast and very fun ride. If you do decide to pursue looking at it you can use that set up to your advantage when arguing a lower price. Fact is they dont make the DPX anymore and it will turn away most people that dont have experience with it. I would not shy away from it . . . but then again a have three or four spare drives . The hull itself is a bit of an anomaly, I've never had my hands on one and not many guys here have experience with the brand and i have not heard anything directly bad about them . . . or good for that mater . . . get a survey and get some good eyes on it for sure.
Dave are you taking about the break away shaft coupling collar --- as all Volvo have that. Also I am huge fan of the DPX and these 500 and 600 from Innovation and Volvo. Even up till last year I still worked on these exact set ups. These DPX and engines are like tanks. I have never seen one yet fail. I seen one badly impacted damage only.

Last edited by BUP; 08-23-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:07 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

the new design for Volvo does very well. They are really faster than years past because they are more hydodynamic designed.

Scroll down to the bottom and can see the internals of Volvo drives plus the shaft break away coupling location.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta...Sterntech.aspx

Last edited by BUP; 08-23-2017 at 12:11 AM.