Notices

#6 prop test program

Old 08-21-2017, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts
Default #6 prop test program

I was wondering if any one on here has gotten involved in the #6 type props test program that cobra marine has and had good results
Old 08-21-2017, 09:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost did last year but was able to find a couple sets local to try out and purchase. I did speak with him plenty of times, it sounds like he has lots a props so my guess is you will have a good chance to find what you need.

The only thing that can add up quickly is shipping - depending on your distance to him.

FYI - you can also try Bblades. I have dealt with them a couple of times.

Good luck.
Phil
Old 08-23-2017, 08:07 AM
Registered

Wow all the years I have seen all those sets of props in the classifieds ,no one has bought into the prop program I am surprised (not really ) I guess I will stay away
Old 08-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought and sold props from and to Albert & Randy @ Cobra no problems .
Old 08-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 348 Likes on 121 Posts

Long story but here's my experience. I bought into the program back in 2012 at the recommendation of a rigger who was testing my Comp in FL.. I bought the Comp as a bare hull then put Ilmors and Arnesons in it in NC so I knew it was going to take a lot of prop testing and set up time. The place in FL knew Randy well and tried a couple of different sets of used props from Randy via the program. All without issue. Then it turned out my Comp had a long layup due to the boat needing to be stripped bare for painting, and then finding out that both motors needed rebuilt. The layup turned out to be a long one - like 16 months. When the boat was finally all back together in North Carolina we tested the boat and knew the props were close, but probably not ideal.

At that point, after such a long layup, I honestly had no expectations that Randy would swap me out props per the program because I had kept the current set through a 16 month layup. I called Randy after the test and to my surprise he acted like my best friend ever! He says "Sure, we'll swap them out - that's what the program is all about. We are here for the long run, yada, yada, yada. When you figure out what set you need just give us a call and we'll exchange them out -as long as they aren't damaged, no questions." So I was like "Wow!" Despite all the bad chit I had heard about Randy (after entering the program several threads had came out about him putting used parts in engine rebuilds) the guy was treating me more than nice.

So after a few mods to the water pick-ups my rigger says he's ready to test again. So I call my new best friend, Randy, to see what he has available for testing and he's like, "Well, what diameter props did we send you last? Oh 18's! What the F$#$ am I going to do with a set of 18's? ........... No one wants 18's! Let me do some checking and I"ll call you back. Click" (Funny thing is I was wanting to swap him 18's for some larger pitch 18's that he had - so no idea why he made such a big fuss about them being 18's. )

So a few days go by but no callback from Randy. I call him. The peeps at Cobra are like, ummm, Randy's busy - we'll have him call you back.......... No callback............... I call at the end of that day, ummm Randy's on the other line, he'll call you back.........no call back.......I call a few days later.......Randy's in the back, we'll tell him you called.............I call the following week, same story. Never heard back from the guy.

Like I said, after such a long layup I really had no feelings that Randy was obligated to swap me out props, but then he was under no obligation to tell me he would. I found him a very fickle person. Call him on the right day and he's your best friend. Call him on a bad day and it's a very different story.

After having read about the guy, and knowing a fellow Donzi owner first hand who paid for complete rebuilds on a set of 700's and was put through years of hell, and having dealt with Randy myself, I wouldn't buy a prop wrench off the guy - much less a $10,000+ set of props. I'd giive BBlades a call.

Last edited by Marginmn; 08-23-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Long story but here's my experience. I bought into the program back in 2012 at the recommendation of a rigger who was testing my Comp in FL.. I bought the Comp as a bare hull then put Ilmors and Arnesons in it in NC so I knew it was going to take a lot of prop testing and set up time. The place in FL knew Randy well and tried a couple of different sets of used props from Randy via the program. All without issue. Then it turned out my Comp had a long layup due to the boat needing to be stripped bare for painting, and then finding out that both motors needed rebuilt. The layup turned out to be a long one - like 16 months. When the boat was finally all back together in North Carolina we tested the boat and knew the props were close, but probably not ideal.

At that point, after such a long layup, I honestly had no expectations that Randy would swap me out props per the program because I had kept the current set through a 16 month layup. I called Randy after the test and to my surprise he acted like my best friend ever! He says "Sure, we'll swap them out - that's what the program is all about. We are here for the long run, yada, yada, yada. When you figure out what set you need just give us a call and we'll exchange them out -as long as they aren't damaged, no questions." So I was like "Wow!" Despite all the bad chit I had heard about Randy (after entering the program several threads had came out about him putting used parts in engine rebuilds) the guy was treating me more than nice.

So after a few mods to the water pick-ups my rigger says he's ready to test again. So I call my new best friend, Randy, to see what he has available for testing and he's like, "Well, what diameter props did we send you last? Oh 18's! What the F$#$ am I going to do with a set of 18's? ........... No one wants 18's! Let me do some checking and I"ll call you back. Click" (Funny thing is I was wanting to swap him 18's for some larger pitch 18's that he had - so no idea why he made such a big fuss about them being 18's. )

So a few days go by but no callback from Randy. I call him. The peeps at Cobra are like, ummm, Randy's busy - we'll have him call you back.......... No callback............... I call at the end of that day, ummm Randy's on the other line, he'll call you back.........no call back.......I call a few days later.......Randy's in the back, we'll tell him you called.............I call the following week, same story. Never heard back from the guy.

Like I said, after such a long layup I really had no feelings that Randy was obligated to swap me out props, but then he was under no obligation to tell me he would. I found him a very fickle person. Call him on the right day and he's your best friend. Call him on a bad day and it's a very different story.

After having read about the guy, and knowing a fellow Donzi owner first hand who paid for complete rebuilds on a set of 700's and was put through years of hell, and having dealt with Randy myself, I wouldn't buy a prop wrench off the guy - much less a $10,000+ set of props. I'd giive BBlades a call.
Stories like this have scared me away