Notices

Don't Come Back!

Old 09-28-2017, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,168 Likes on 1,411 Posts

The water patrol where I boat are highway patrol officers that rotate shifts on and off the water, you get bowed up on one of them you go to jail,
Old 09-28-2017, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JRider - Interesting thread. I have always wondered how to deal with this as well. The cops on Torch have been terrible over the past few years.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 492 Posts

Where I live, we just give the cop 200 baht (about $6) and move on. It's called 'tea money' and common practice for any offense when nobody is seriously injured. Great country here!

RR

P.S. Sorry for the slight derail.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 4,620 Likes on 1,324 Posts

I would push the issue, I mean what does don`t come back mean? This isn`t the USSR. Does a cop have authority to tell you where you can and can`t boat (if the noise issue get resolved) They can ask and maybe you listen but lets see what happens when push comes to shove.

In Chicago you can`t pull up to a beach from water but legally no one owns the lake front up to the highest tide. I got kicked off 3 beaches in one day. The last one I said you know what I`m not moving. It was a large church that backed up to the lake with security. Two rent a cops asked me to get off the beach. I pulled up my chair in the water as close to shore as I could and told em to go pound sand. They called the cops. The police told me it was a gray area on where in the water I can pull up to. I said no it isn`t they don`t own the lake and I`m not moving. They left
Old 09-28-2017, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 161 Likes on 73 Posts

We use to have that problem around here back in the day. Anything over a v6 and you were getting pulled over for a sound check. If you failed the test you were instructed to get off the water immediately. If you came by water you had to leave and head back to wherever you came from. It was basically a fix it ticket, you had 2 weeks to prove you can get your exhaust under 90db. If you did the ticket was ripped up, if not you had to pay the fine. I actually asked one officer what would happen if I didn't leave when they told me to, his response was they would eventually impound my boat. The bottom line is your not going to win unless you do what they say
Old 09-28-2017, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being in Law Enforcement, on our local water unit here and a long time boater I can attempt to clear some issues up. My personal approach is to always use a little common sense. There are ways to balance the boating laws and boaters enjoyment so that everybody has a good time on the water, while being safe. Unfortunately, there are many who do water patrols that do not know the differences between vehicle laws and waterway laws. Or they are trying to prove something. Like playing the lottery, you might win or not when it comes to which one you get stopped by.

In regards to some of the legal questions here; most states have similar processes and laws however they can vary. So I might not be spot on with where you live. As a general rule, no we do not have to provide a copy of the law to enforce it. That is your responsibility to know the local laws for where you are boating. Can they throw you off a lake? Quite possibly. It depends on who owns the lake and who is throwing you off, who has jurisdiction. We have many state parks here with lakes. If a park ranger throws you off, you can be arrested for Defiant Trespassing if you refuse to leave or come back. So if that officer works for the agency whom has jurisdiction over that lake, they can legally throw you off.

My best advice, always talk to any law enforcement people with a humble attitude. Be courteous and respectful. This goes a long way in setting the tone for the entire interaction. No guarantee cause you might have lost the lottery and got somebody who is stroking their ego. But, it generally works best. If you have that negative interaction, then you can always follow up with a supervisor on their department. Worst case, you can always talk your way back onto a lake if approached properly.

Remember, when people have these interactions, they are not the first to do so. There is usually some sort of law or legal court precedence that backs up the authority in these matters. Basically, when push comes to shove, we typically will win. It is not worth it over minor stuff.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 123 Posts

I've never been pulled over on Cumberland. They actually have laws now where the WP has to see you doing something wrong before they can even stop you. I don't know if I would boat if I had to deal with some of the AH's that you guys deal with up north. We have it lucky.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 116 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I would push the issue, I mean what does don`t come back mean? This isn`t the USSR. Does a cop have authority to tell you where you can and can`t boat (if the noise issue get resolved) They can ask and maybe you listen but lets see what happens when push comes to shove.

In Chicago you can`t pull up to a beach from water but legally no one owns the lake front up to the highest tide. I got kicked off 3 beaches in one day. The last one I said you know what I`m not moving. It was a large church that backed up to the lake with security. Two rent a cops asked me to get off the beach. I pulled up my chair in the water as close to shore as I could and told em to go pound sand. They called the cops. The police told me it was a gray area on where in the water I can pull up to. I said no it isn`t they don`t own the lake and I`m not moving. They left
Hmmmm. Really? YOU? Pushing the issue?....Hmmmm...that surprises me.

PS...check your mail today. Package arriving.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 116 Likes on 71 Posts

Maybe Im getting old, but who really has the time or energy to mess with water police? If theres an AHOLE cop on the water, I boat somewhere else...down or up river. I dont want to be bothered with getting boarded, checking for safety equipment, possibly DWI.....Just cooperate and be nice. Let the thugs push buttons....not me. Ive learned being nice goes a LOOOOng way.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 23 Posts

If the cops don't want you there, there are probably others. It's not likely you are getting in trouble in a 525EFI sport boat. You have a couple of the loudest possible boats you are describing. This is coming from a guy with dry above transom pipes. I use common sense. When the lake/marina is quiet it do my best not to be the one a$$hole. I try to quickly get away from shore and I don't buzz the houses and shoreline. I am not saying you don't.

As far as what can you do to beat the cop? Why? He'll find something else. Better hope your trailer has inspections, lights working, etc. If not him, his buddy will bother you on the way home.

Best case is you do beat them and they change the law...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.