Notices

Using Boat Stands

Old 11-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Boat Stands

Hello all...
Boat is on it's trailer, winterized in the barn for the layup season. I need to do some modifications to the bow/stop rollers on the trailer. I only need to raise the bow of the boat off the bow stop maybe 3" or so. I'm thinking of cranking the trailer jack all the way up, getting a single center keel v stand, putting in place (how far back ?) then cranking the trailer down just enough for working room, with wheels chocked. Obviously, this will put more stress towards the back of the trailer and bunks temporarily. Other is option is to use 2 standard stands and doing the same process. The boat is a 1990 Formula 292 on an all steel triple axle Eagle trailer.

Thoughts?
Old 11-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Registered

There is a right way and then the i will take a chance way. The right way would be, assuming the engines are still in the boat, would be four jack stands. Two at the back and two forward a midship. The keel should also be supported, a concrete block with some wood to protect it or a foam block. The other way is jack it up little by little using block on each side little by little putting pieces of wood in as it goes higher until you can put another block in, four sides for that weight boat and keel piece. If you never did this get some stands even if you have to rent them from a marine shop or ???. It's the best way.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Registered

Forgot to include Johnstown distributors (so) boat online store has a guide how to do it.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 250 Posts

scaffold mart has galvanized stands cheaper than the blue ones everyone else carries.
i bought 4, 2 for the sides and 2 for the keel. (don't buy the v top, buy 2 flat tops for the keel.)
they are awesome, i lifted my boat to rebunk the trailer.
you shouldn't have to lift the boat for the bow stop but if you have keel rollers, then maybe you'll need stands.
Attached Thumbnails Using Boat Stands-sany0371.jpg  
Old 11-07-2017, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

OP,

Do you have room to loosen the bow stop tree and slide it forward instead of lifting the boat?
Old 11-07-2017, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by bikergja
Forgot to include Johnstown distributors (so) boat online store has a guide how to do it.
Jamestown distributors
OP your first thought of jacking up the trailer is just fine.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

You don't need stands. I've done this many times. All you need is a couple of solid concrete blocks with a 2x6 on top.
-Crank the trailer up.
-Place the solid concrete blocks with the 2x6 "pad" (you could put some carpet over it) under the keel of the boat far enough back where it's not starting it's slope up.
-Crank the tongue wheel down, and the trailer will separate from the boat with the trailer's flex. This will be enough that you can remove your winch stand.
-Then, just crank the trailer up and let it cradle the boat. Your winch stand isn't supposed to be carrying much weight; until you are ready to replace.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tractionless
OP,

Do you have room to loosen the bow stop tree and slide it forward instead of lifting the boat?
Yes, there is room, but with the brand new imron paint job on the trailer, ain't gonna happen....
Old 11-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You don't need stands. I've done this many times. All you need is a couple of solid concrete blocks with a 2x6 on top.
-Crank the trailer up.
-Place the solid concrete blocks with the 2x6 "pad" (you could put some carpet over it) under the keel of the boat far enough back where it's not starting it's slope up.
-Crank the tongue wheel down, and the trailer will separate from the boat with the trailer's flex. This will be enough that you can remove your winch stand.
-Then, just crank the trailer up and let it cradle the boat. Your winch stand isn't supposed to be carrying much weight; until you are ready to replace.
Pretty much my original thought. I only need minimal separation. It's a two-stop swivel configuration, and the last time the boat was loaded, one of the stops broke from the cross bolt and is wedged in tightly between the trailer and bow.
Thanks.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 800 Likes on 451 Posts

If you look in most boat yards, the bow blocking is just behind the curve of the bow and the base of the windshield - gigger boats just take more blocking to support the distance.... if you are just changing out the bow stop it can be done on the trailer cradling the stern - chock the tires.