Winterizing a Gen V 525 SC >

Winterizing a Gen V 525 SC

Notices

Winterizing a Gen V 525 SC

Old 12-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing a Gen V 525 SC

This is my first time winterizing this boat and I'm puzzled. I had both engines warmed up using the garden hose with an adapter that ties into a Y pipe at the back of the freshwater pumps. No issues and water exiting the exhaust tips as expected. I disconnected the freshwater source and using a 6' section of garden hose attached to the same port tried to suck antifreeze from a 5 gallon bucket. I was working alone and unaware no fluid was passing out the exhaust tips and the temperature came up to about 170 and I fried the impeller before shutting it down. The impeller only had about three hours on it. Am I wrong in assuming that the water pump can create suction? Or does it require pressure in order to circulate?

EDIT: I think I figured it out but I'm interested in any comments except those telling me I'm a dumba$$. I need to close the raw water intake valves.

Last edited by Thunderous; 12-02-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 452 Likes on 270 Posts

Needs pressure to get to sea water pump. I use a bilge pump in a bucket to get water to the pump. Gravity feed will not work and distroy impeller.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 178 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Needs pressure to get to sea water pump. I use a bilge pump in a bucket to get water to the pump. Gravity feed will not work and distroy impeller.
If this is true, how does it work sitting still in the water at the dock?
Old 12-02-2017, 05:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
If this is true, how does it work sitting still in the water at the dock?
This is exactly why I edited my post after scratching my head about it. Reason it's working on the garden hose is because the water pressure is overpowering the volume of the impeller. Once I remove the pressure by using the hose in the bucket of antifreeze the impeller begins sucking air from the raw water inlet.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

bucket has to be higher than pump and it will absolutely suck a 5 faster than you'd believe

maybe you'll be lucky if there was no water / fluid in the pump the pieces won't be jammed upstream in the coolers
Old 12-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by outonsafari
bucket has to be higher than pump and it will absolutely suck a 5 faster than you'd believe

maybe you'll be lucky if there was no water / fluid in the pump the pieces won't be jammed upstream in the coolers
Bucket was in the cockpit and was higher than the pump. I've changed the impeller and have accounted for all the pieces. Now I need for someone to confirm that the cause was not having the raw water inlet valves closed, letting them suck air.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Thunderous
Bucket was in the cockpit and was higher than the pump. I've changed the impeller and have accounted for all the pieces. Now I need for someone to confirm that the cause was not having the raw water inlet valves closed, letting them suck air.
you are correct. I've done this many times. It don't take but a second to see your antifreeze level dropping. Sounds like you have this figured out. Good luck
Old 12-02-2017, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

Make sure you pull the drain plugs on the sides of the block to drain the block before you run the antifreeze through it.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Registered

Apparently the raw water pickups are in my Bravo nose cones, so no raw water pickup or valve close. I am baffled at how the water pump will draw water at idle sitting in the lake but not draw water from the aux hose water port out of a bucket. The aux port is plumbed into a inlet "Y" at the back of the water pump. Boat is a Formula 353c any ideas?
Old 12-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Any pump will draw air easier than water. The garden hose works because the pressure being fed. Use a bilge pump or freshwater pump to feed the antifreeze and you will be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.