At One Time The most boats sold around the world >

At One Time The most boats sold around the world

Notices

At One Time The most boats sold around the world

Old 12-06-2017, 07:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

Its not the end for Mercury. Regardless of what happens to Sea Ray, the same number of people will buy the same number of powerboats and they'll all have engines in them!
It may generate more competition in the industry which is always good for the consumer. Mercury will adapt to changes in the market, like they have in developing better outboards. Obviously a financial decision for Brunswick who feel there's better ways to make a profit. That's the scary part! There's more profit in selling the copany than owning the company.

Maybe they'll downsize and buy the Pantera molds instead.

RR
Old 12-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought Fountain was gone a few yrs ago. SeaRay has its name going for them. Probably one of the most recognized names in boats.

Where are you seeing a cruiser with outboards? I'm just seeing an open bow with outboards.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

Sea Ray produced the 370 Venture with Verados but I think it has vanished now. Surprised me, because I thought it was a winner.
Their bowriders go up to 40' now with outboards. Technically still a bowriders but maybe big enough to be a cruiser?

RR

Venture pics....
Attached Thumbnails At One Time The most boats sold around the world-img_8157.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2017, 08:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 267 Likes on 148 Posts

I don’t think mercury will be gone, just the stern drive and inboard side, SeaRays will be sporting Volvo’s, like many others are already
Old 12-06-2017, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

Formula has been showing cruisers with OB’s, they look like they just bolted on with no real design to it.

I hope the Sea Ray Plant down the street doesn’t close,,,,,,,,, again.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts

Something about electric boats and salt water and Lit batteries and power cords etc etc that just don't work for me. What happens if you dip one of those battery packs in the drink?
Old 12-06-2017, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
The real future may be electric. Look at the Tesla power plant. Incredibly fast and smooth. No pollution and less fire hazard. If they can lighten up the batteries the gas motors will dinosaur overnight.
I have built a twin 65hp surface drive electric boat with the best battries money can buy, 7mins of play time at WOT could cruise for about an hr before battries were dead. Not to mention the battries and motors alone were north of 40k.

What I think could but some wind in some sails is a hybrid outboard. Lets say you have a 60hp ICE engine and another 40hp electric. Use them both to get up on plane, cruise you would shut the electric off or use some of that 60hp to charge the battries back up, Trolling no problem turn the ICE off and use the EV for trolling. Could spin that prop at 1rpm all day long. Get rid of both a kicker and trolling motor for the walley/bass guys.

Something I would love to play with but in my market there shares just aren't big enough for that.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
. Where are you seeing a cruiser with outboards? I'm just seeing an open bow with outboards.
Formula fuglied up a 43 with quad backstops, I believe. Some dentist group will buy one, then another, then its fleet named Oral Care and we all shake our heads. The upside is, the market for jimmy buffet shirts will stay strong well into Q3-2019
Old 12-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 598 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by turbom700
I have built a twin 65hp surface drive electric boat with the best battries money can buy, 7mins of play time at WOT could cruise for about an hr before battries were dead. Not to mention the battries and motors alone were north of 40k.

What I think could but some wind in some sails is a hybrid outboard. Lets say you have a 60hp ICE engine and another 40hp electric. Use them both to get up on plane, cruise you would shut the electric off or use some of that 60hp to charge the battries back up, Trolling no problem turn the ICE off and use the EV for trolling. Could spin that prop at 1rpm all day long. Get rid of both a kicker and trolling motor for the walley/bass guys.

Something I would love to play with but in my market there shares just aren't big enough for that.
I think hybrids could thrive in the non plaining catamaran space. Lots of deck space for solar panels. Less sensitive to weight for a big battery bank. And you could scale up the generator to push the boat as well.

Batteries have a very long way to go before they will make sense in a plaining hull.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:39 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Why isn't diesel electric being done? 1 diesel engine powering 2 electric motor drives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.