Old School Gale Banks Twin Turbo Setup >

Old School Gale Banks Twin Turbo Setup

Notices

Old School Gale Banks Twin Turbo Setup

Old 12-27-2017, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old School Gale Banks Twin Turbo Setup

I'm getting ready to start installing this setup on my 454 i have in my Checkmate.
Anyone have a setup like this and willing to give some advise and pictures of their setup?
Any input or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by Maxxum229; 12-27-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I cannot help but am subscribing to your thread as I have been thinking about installing one of these on my boat. I have been trying to find pics of setups for enclosed engine as well.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

You may want to poke around the tech section over on Performanceboats.com if you haven't already..

Seems a few of the jet boat guys run them..
Old 12-28-2017, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 116 Likes on 71 Posts

Smokin Gun (Gordon) here on the boards was selling a bunch of this stuff on the "powerboat swap shop" on FB...He doesnt come on OSO very much anymore.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you talking about this type of setup used on the Mercruiser Turbo 475 package in the early 80's that used the mercruiser log manifolds? I had a '80 Scarab Kaama with this package and I'm quite familiar with them but that was many moons ago. I may have old pics but I modified the package to better use the turbos. Is this what you are calling old school? Not sure if I can help but I'll try.

Anyone Know This Boat - 31 Ex ?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by akattack
Are you talking about this type of setup used on the Mercruiser Turbo 475 package in the early 80's that used the mercruiser log manifolds? I had a '80 Scarab Kaama with this package and I'm quite familiar with them but that was many moons ago. I may have old pics but I modified the package to better use the turbos. Is this what you are calling old school? Not sure if I can help but I'll try.

Anyone Know This Boat - 31 Ex ?
i had the same set up in a 24 superboat . We put that in the boat in the early 90's.
What info are you looking for ?
Old 12-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Registered

Yes that is the exact setup i have for my boat.
I just need to know how to hook everything up and advise on how i should do the supply/return oil line for the turbos.
Plus how you all did the cooling water leaving the boat thru exhaust or pipe it out the transom or side of the boat.

Jason
Old 12-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

It looks like the turbo housings are water cooled as well as a wet exhaust? My main concern was the heat but if you have water cooled turbos and wet exhaust it looks to be fine with an enclosed engine. The ones I have seen are normally on an exposed jet boat/v-drive. Are there newer water cooled housings available or are you stuck with the older turbos and just have them rebuilt if needed? I have tried looking online and not come up with much. I was looking for some pics with setups for enclosed engine.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Registered

My turbos have all been rebuilt. I had the exhaust manifolds pressure tested and they were both bad and leaked internally. But i found out that i can get replacement manifolds online. My turbo cooling housing are all in good shape so the cooling part is good to go. But i was also wondering if i need to cool the carb base plate that attaches to my upper intake. It has cooling ports but the previous guy said he had no need to cool the carb. base plate.

Last edited by Maxxum229; 12-28-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:06 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Did Carson Brummet (sp?) buy all the banks stuff some years ago now ? I'd google search for his shop and # and call'm if you need anything related.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.