Notices

Got The Itch Again....

Old 03-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 1,944 Likes on 768 Posts

Thx guys. Im getting excited.

lowpsi, a 30' Contender is a great boat and Optis are great motors. Ive been an O/B guy all my life and it has gone from racing, to hi perf 17' - 20' go fast hobby, to business, to 24' vee bottom hobby again etc.

As a hobby, it has allowed me to play with a style of boats that I otherwise could not afford to "own". I'm a blue collar guy w/a blue collar budget and although I drool over that high zoot I/O boats like everyone else, they are beyond my means w/o making it my only hobby which historically I do not appear to be able to do

vtsteve, thank you sir. Hearing from more and more people showing interest in the project and style of boating.

Interestingly, I did almost same thing 15 or so yrs ago.
Thought I wanted a nice cruiser w/a nice dock. Did that and realized I hated being at dock and that the logistics of getting in/out of dock (especially single handing) ruined the idea of a "boat ride".
On top of that, being under way at 15 or so mph......, w/a destination thats on the horizon....., and still is 30 mins later.........., tortured my constitution

I sold that cruiser (after 2 yrs) and bought my first twin O/B 24' Sonic and never looked back.
The thrill of the ride was back. Changing destinations mid course was now fun again. The satisfaction of running a fast boat fast, that rewarded driver input/ability was back.
The challenge of getting a small boat across Lake Erie and back in questionable water/weather was also back.

How about these, past fun runs?

Of course the 5 days/4 nights in the Keys.

A 4th of July anchored off of Pelee Island on the Canadian side of Lake Erie watching their fire works, displays on 3 other islands plus the beach of Cedar Point amusement park simultaneously all while mother nature displayed a raging thunderstorm on the horizon in the background as to show whos boss.
All from the back of the Sonic.

The beach of the same island, only boat there and watching so many shooting stars that you get bored.

Same island, first of season, beach covered w/driftwood-firewood and the bon fire from hell.

As above, morning after. several boats came in over night, making the Mrs a 3 course breakfast on the beach when a couple walks by off a 44' Searay when the man stops and looks at my K-Mart grill, looks at our tiny cuddy cabin, looks back at the grill/breakfast, looks at his gorgeous boat then looks at me and says, "I had cereal for breakfast" and walks away
Guessing his wife punched him in the side.

As above, the rare weekend we/perfect weather, boat runs perfect, youre on your A game, sun set, anchor, island music, cocktails, and your wife gets that twinkle in her eyes, end youre on the beach

Tying up at marina on north end of Pelee (30 mile run) and deciding its too nice of day to punch out so making the statement (loud enough for neighboring cruisers to hear) that we should go to Leamington (Ontario mainland) for a beer. 15 mls away.
The comment is met w/laughter from neighboring captains enjoying their martinis.
2 hrs later we returned w/bar coasters from the Leamington pub.

Etc, etc, etc..........

One of my favorite pixs. First of April, in Ohio after a long/cold winter and a serious case of cabin fever.
Scudder Marina Pelee Island.

Scudder Marina

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 03-16-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 175 Likes on 73 Posts

Hey Gary I know how you feel... I tried the cruiser thing. When you get older you feel like going that route but not being able to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time sucks. I miss my 300xs outboard s but they were only 70mph on my 30 Cary.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Registered

I ended up going crazy and built big cube inboards with Arneson surface drives .
Old 03-17-2018, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You could be the most realistic, down-to-earth performance boat owner/ modifier on OSO. I'm not an outboard fan, but I love things that "make sense" and after reading your post about the space and cost to own of a small O/B Vee I am re-thinking my BBC builds for my Formula 272.
Good luck with your project!
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (12-05-2018), Twin O/B Sonic (02-10-2022)
Old 03-17-2018, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The confused look on the faces of people at the dock when you tell them the regular motor is under the sunpad and the 200+hp outboard(s) are just your trolling motors- Priceless.
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (12-05-2018), Twin O/B Sonic (02-10-2022)
Old 03-17-2018, 09:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Gary, you give a unique perspective to boating that's just closer to what I like. Remember we used to boat and camp on a 22' Stingray, so a bit diehard. Your choice of boats makes me saddened that they don't really make those anymore. I never really figured out the desire for huge IO boats with big cabins that nobody used, and I guess with the demand for CC's, nobody else is interested now either.

My perfect boat that someone else's budget would pay for. Right here baby.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:58 AM
Registered

Thx again guys. Its been a fun ride.

Cary, I feel your pain
PS, a real 70 mph in a 30' boat is flying!

VT, I agree. That style boat has exploded on Lake Erie too. Those that have a cottage and dont need a cabin on their boat........, 30'+, center console.

For us econo guys, heres some old pixs of makin it happen on a budget.

This one started it all for me. '1969 19' Glastron Carslon. Huge cabin. Would sleep 4!

The first 24' Sonic. Towed by a virgin. '69 Polara rag top w/a 383.

The econo tow pigg. Lost a really well paying job and had to go into survival mode.
Sold most of the toys (the Polara and a '68 440 6 pack Super Bee) but kept the boat.
Wrote it off as attitude adjustment. How could I be expected to find another job w/a bad atttude?

Bought this van off e-bay for $500.
Had a smog 305 in it. I swapped in a 300 hp Jasper 350 off craigslist.
The manual said the motor wouldnt come out the drivers door.
They were wrong.
Installed a 3.73 posi, headers and had a custom bent dual exhaust built.
After re-selling old parts, I think I had $1500 in a killer tow pig, while unemployed

W/a small trailer boat on Lake Erie, you put the boat in the water about 50% of the time.
The rest of time we tow the boat/camper w/us, while bar hopping, ending in the boat, on the trailer while waiting on weather to break.
We closed the bar in the background and camped in the parking lot.

This was a fun one. A group of us w/small boats crossed Lake Erie to Leamington Ontario on far side of lake.
We got weathered in for 3 days.
Beginning of day #2 I awoke to calm winds and lake. Realized we had a 2 hr window of calm conditions first thing in morning.
Had a captains meeting to report my epiphany and vote to top off fuel, tie everything down and head south, butt crack of dawn, morning #3 for a 45 mile bonsai run for the US shoreline.
One captain agreed w/me.
The other 3 boats left PM, day #2, and straight into 8' to 10' waves. (a 42' Tiara left and came right back for shelter)
We watched our friends (21' - 25') form the breakwall. Was stupid and very dangerous.

The one remaining boat and I hopped the bus to town for a last day of fun.
We arose morning #3 to the hoped for calm weather. We hulled ass (60 mph) at terminal speed of boat #2 and headed south.
We pulled into breakfast at Kelleys Island (3 mls from mainland) the exact same time as the boats that left day before, into the **** storm.
They only made it to next island day before.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 03-18-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 593 Likes on 353 Posts

Not saying you’re doing it wrong but the 400lbs weight premium for 2s-4s you mentioned is more like 200-250lbs.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Registered

A 25" 250 hp Verado is 650 lbs.

A carbed, 25" 250 hp Ocean Pro is 450.

Times two.

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Not saying you’re doing it wrong but the 400lbs weight premium for 2s-4s you mentioned is more like 200-250lbs.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:04 PM
Registered

Yeah I think my Merc 300xs 2 strokes weigh 500lb ea. 18" stainless marine bracket an hydraulic jack plates kept the balance of the boat with inboards pretty similar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.